Consistant Pressure?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron S

Reaction score
I was out shooting the Savage today,and noticed that using the MMP short sabots,some would load easier than others. I've never noticed this before. The new barrel seems like it's tighter than the old one! I tried shooting some MMP HPH-12's with the 250 shock waves (the old barrels favorite load) and couldn't hardly get them down the barrel. Oh well,I guess I'm back to square one! Maybe the Harvester sabots will work in this barrel. The groups it shot today were Ok,but nothing like the other barrel did. I guess I'll find the right combination eventually! Ron :?

I would think the load used by Savage on the proof target they sent you would be one imporant starting place.

Otherwise, you might try HPH-24s instead of or in addition to Harvestors. So far, my gun (with a VERY tight barrel) seems to shoot HPH-24s into groups about half the size of HPH-12s and MMP shorts. Harvestors group just a little bit be wider than the HPH-24s in my gun, it appears.

I tried shooting some MMP HPH-12's with the 250 shock waves (the old barrels favorite load) and couldn't hardly get them down the barrel.
That is the case with my Savage. HPH12's are WAY too tight to load for my liking!

Maybe the Harvester sabots will work in this barrel.
The Harvester short and long sabots both load much easier and shoot great out of my gun using 250 SST's and 300 SST's.

I'll go out tomorrow and try a few diffrent things. I'm running low on sabots,but don't want to order a bunch of them,just to find the gun likes something else. :)

My HB likes the HP-12's. I'm soon going to test some Harvester and see what happens there. Also have a new SS/Laminate that I haven't shot yet so anybody's guess on that one for now.

JJ,My old barrel liked the 12's real well. But I guessing (because of the tight fit,that this new barrel is tighter). I'll give the 24's a try. Also have some Harvesters that the old barrel didn't like. Ron :)

Mountain Man, they said what powder they used on the target but, no info. on the bullet,sabot or primer. Ron :think:

Well,I justgot back from the range,and thought I'd share a little info. Went with the Harvester sabots,after shooting the MMP short's. The MMP shorts gave around 1.5-1.7 groups with 42gr. N110,and a 250gr XTP. The harvester sabots shot the 250gr XTP's,and SST's into an average of 1.0 (now were gettin somewhere). Tried the HPH-12's and thought I was going to have to use a mallet to get them down the bore! They shot right at 1.0, but about 5 of these hard loadings a day would be it! Then I got to thinking,how about the 300XTP's w/42gr. N110,and a harvester sabot. It was in the book,so I thought I might as well try it! Holy Cow! One ragged hole at 100yds first three shots! Next three shots did the same thing! Averaged .78 inch! Then I realized that I was out of the regular Harvester sabots that they had sent me! Not wanting to quit,I looked in the muzzle loading box and found some of the New RIBBED sabots that they had sent along with the others,so I loaded them with the 300gr XTP,and 42grs. of N110. Three, three shot groups averaged 1.1 inches at 100yds. Now I'm wondering if Savages latest run of barrels,are tighter than previous ones? My old barrel,loaded and shot the HPH-12's with a 250gr. SST the best. This new barrel seem to have a prefrence for thinner sabots,and 300gr bullets! I'm sure N110 isn't the best powder for 300gr class bullets,and I have some N120 on hand! But it's goona be hard pressed to shoot any better than this combination! Ron :D

Ron S said:
Mountain Man, they said what powder they used on the target but, no info. on the bullet,sabot or primer. Ron :think:

Well that's pretty pitiful of them! :cry:

However, I'm sure RW would tell us that Savage has only ever recommended one brand of each: Hornady XTP for the bullets, Winchester primers, and MMP shorts for the sabots. The only question then is whether they were 250 or 300 grain XTPs! Shoot a couple groups with each weight and you'll know! :wink:

.452 250 gr. standard XTPs is all that Savage range-tests a customer's gun with, as far as I know.

Thanks for the info. Randy! Do you have any idea if the new production barrels are running smaller? Like I mentioned in the earlier post,the old barrel loaded,and shot the HPH-12's really well. This one takes a unreal amount of pressure to run the bullet/sabot down the bore. I'm thinking the HPH-24's will be the ticket. Ron :)

RandyWakeman said:
.452 250 gr. standard XTPs is all that Savage range-tests a customer's gun with, as far as I know.

Randy I'm just curious about something, if the Savage was designed around the 300gr. bullet why does Savage ship with the gun and test the 250grs.? :?

Back