Constant 10ML-II problem..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me...but I have a CONSTANT problem with stuck ventliners. I've ALWAYS used regular Never Seez..getting a Q-tip for the breechplug venliner threads and then coating the ventliner itself really good. In the last few weeks I've had four ventliners stick! :x

Here's a question and PROBABLY the solution...What would be wrong with having a TORX head ventliner screw instead of the Allen head?

big6x6 said:
Maybe it's just me...but I have a CONSTANT problem with stuck ventliners. I've ALWAYS used regular Never Seez..getting a Q-tip for the breechplug venliner threads and then coating the ventliner itself really good. In the last few weeks I've had four ventliners stick! :x

Here's a question and PROBABLY the solution...What would be wrong with having a TORX head ventliner screw instead of the Allen head?

WOW! :shock: I've only stuck one in 4 years. :? How many shots are you putting through the plug before you try to pull the liner?

Chuck, I use regular Silver automotive anti-seize.Never had one even remotely close to stuck.Permatex,part no.133a. Yes, a torx head would provide added benefit.On my first "Module"Sav. I used some type of anti-seize that was blue in color? It sucked! That was the only time I had one try to stick. Since the anti-seize, change,no problems.One, 1oz. tube lasts a loooooooonnng time!

dwhunter said:
big6x6 said:

WOW! :shock: I've only stuck one in 4 years. :? How many shots are you putting through the plug before you try to pull the liner?
Hey Darrell, How is it going!What do you use?

WOW! I've only stuck one in 4 years. How many shots are you putting through the plug before you try to pull the liner?

Less than you might think. Generally about 40-60 shots per cleanup.. USUALLY after every two range trips but lately it's been after each trip. With different ventliner suppliers too.

One ventliner came to me stuck in a new rifle! :x Maybe I'm just not holding my mouth right! I've been using Bostik Never-Seez regular grade but..starting TODAY I am trying the Bostick Never-Seeze Blue Moly so we'll see how that goes!

I never had one stick for a while(2 years?) and all of a sudden sticking ventliners has reared its ugly head! :x

big6x6 said:
..starting TODAY I am trying the Bostick Never-Seeze Blue Moly so we'll see how that goes!
That's what I use and so far, no problems. BUT, I maintenance the plug after every range trip!

Try '' Never Seize '' in the copper color cannot remember the ## but it is for hot applications. I used it for years on my job and never had any siezing up on screws,bolts,etc. Iuse it on my ventliners andbreech plug or anything i do not want to get stuck.You do not need alot on the threads...

Most people overtighten them. Easy to do; that is what we are used to doing.

But, a ventliner supports nothing except for its own weight. Tighten it just as tight as you want to-- you're the one that has to get it out. :cry:

Very, very light snugging of the ventliner with lube on the bottom of the flat-head screw as well as all threads should eliminate any problems.

big6x6 said:
WOW! I've only stuck one in 4 years. How many shots are you putting through the plug before you try to pull the liner?

Less than you might think. Generally about 40-60 shots per cleanup.. USUALLY after every two range trips but lately it's been after each trip. With different ventliner suppliers too.

One ventliner came to me stuck in a new rifle! :x Maybe I'm just not holding my mouth right! I've been using Bostik Never-Seez regular grade but..starting TODAY I am trying the Bostick Never-Seeze Blue Moly so we'll see how that goes!

I never had one stick for a while(2 years?) and all of a sudden sticking ventliners has reared its ugly head! :x

I'm using the VersaChem(copper color) part# 13109 and clean about 20-25 shots. This may be a bit much but that's what I do. :wink:

I use Loctite nickel anti-seize, part number 77124, it is good to 2400 degrees F. I have never had a problem but it is messy as is most anti-seize.

big6x6 said:

I started making 1 little wrap with the pink teflon tape then greasing lightly and have not had another problem!

Breaks loose very easy now.

Big6x6, actually you are doing great to be able to shoot 50 or 60 shots with out cleaning. I cant, 25 to 30 is the max. I tighten my vent-liner just like a 777 breech plug. Just snug.

You know...I really may BE overtightening them! I guess the older I get the STRONGER I am GETTING!! I may add the Teflon tape as well because this IS getting ridiculous!

So Tar-12 is the ONLY one who thinks my TORX head ventliner screw is a good idea? I really thought it was a good one!

big6x6 said:
You know...I really may BE overtightening them! I guess the older I get the STRONGER I am GETTING!! I may add the Teflon tape as well because this IS getting ridiculous!

So Tar-12 is the ONLY one who thinks my TORX head ventliner screw is a good idea? I really thought it was a good one!
I use TORX drivers a lot to remove stripped socket head screws. The "fins" on the TORX drivers will broach themselves into the stripped out head of the allen screw.
YMMV
Take care, have fun...
Roger D. in Southern Indiana

I surely wish someone would try some Slick50 ONE grease on those Savage plugs and vent liners, then report. Maybe it's too inexpensive? :D

I like the TORX idea.. I have stuck about 20 liners in my time. And no, I'm not kidding!!!

The last few I gave to JD and he soaked them overnight and they came right out.

Now I use Birchwood Casey choke tube lube and things have gotten better!

I actually saw an improvement with RW's liners because they didnt strip out as easy as the soft Savage variety..

I think a Torx head would be a great improvement .... You have my vote!

big6x6 said:

No, I think it's a GREAT idea. Same for the action screws!

I like the TORX idea even though I haven't had a stuck liner yet. It wouldn't hurt to have if I ever needed that little extra to remove a vent liner.

When I first started researching the Savage and reading all of the reports one of the common problems seemed to be stuck liners. When I purchased mine I started using some nickel based anti-seize (TB was touting at the time) offered from a company in Ohio. I also have been very careful to just snug the liner, it doesn't serve any purpose to be very tight.

Mine have always come out very easily.

Back