Converted Percussion Hatfield to Flint – issues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
I put an L&R flint lock in my Hatfield rifle that originally came to me in percussion form. It is the flint lock that is made specifically for the Hatfield conversion. As a percussion rifle, it is fine firearm.
I shot the rifle on Thursday and some problems became apparent. By the third shot, the flash hole liner became clogged, giving me a flash in the pan. I stuck a wire in the flash hole and reamed it out. The rifle fired.
I noticed that the first patch and ball went down the bore very easily. The second required a bit more force to ram down. The third ball and patch was very tight and took significant effort to ram down the barrel.
Next, I used a cleaning patch on the bore and the patch came out dense black.
I repeated the above with 3 more shots and had the same experience.
The Hatfield is a .45 cal. I used 0.440 balls, 0.015 patches and 60 gr of 3F Goex powder. I swabbed the bore to wipe out whatever residual protectant might be there before I started shooting.
Any ideas on what might be happening?
Thanks,
Ron

Sounds normal to be. When I shoot a flintlock I swab every shot. Then pour in the powder. After the powder is in I run a pick through the touch hole all the way into the powder. Sort of making a channel for the flame to go into. Then make sure the pan and frizzen is clean. Then prime the pan and shoot.

If I didn't do all that every time i'd get a slow fire or even flash in the pan.

Thanks, Pete! That must be a solution for the Hatfield.
I have another flintlock that I can shoot 7 or more balls out of and never have to clean or fuss with the  touch hole. That must be the exception.
Ron

You were lucky. I think most flintlock shooters pick it everytime.

It's a good habit even if it's not always needed. Especially, when hunting.

Ron? You have two Hatfields? Thought yours was .50 calibre...

I use 4F Goex with my .50 calibre Hatfield flintlock in the pan. 3F will work, but 4F gives me better performance. I had some issues. Once I switched the pan powder to 4F, a lot of things went smoother. Swiss Null B is good, too. I don't like using 3F in the pan. It causes me headaches. IDK if this will solve your problem.

I use 3F in the rifle mostly, but have been playing with 2F lately to see the difference. I am shooting better and more consistently with the Hatfield flintlock now and having fun with it.

Hope this helps. I never need to clear the hole even though I have the tools. 
I clean it out at the end of the day.

That is my slip up. It is a .50 cal and I fed it .490 balls, not .440. I just have one Hatfield unless my 1816 Remington Commemorative was built by Hatfield (very possible).
Ron

Stick a 'pipe cleaner swab' into the touch-hole prior to inserting the main charge!

33909624743_be8e69b791_c.jpg
Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

That, of course, is a period correct pipe cleaner? :D
I will try fitting a pipe cleaner in there. The flash hole is so small that I remove the flash hole liner before I use a pipe cleaner to scrub the breech area. Perhaps that small size hole is the root of the problem. It has been recommended that I drill out the hole to 1/16".
Ron

1/16" is what worked best for me. I bent a piece of brass wire into a loop at one end and attached it to my trigger guard with a cord. After shooting and swabbing (every shot), I insert the wire into the touch hole and leave it there until after I load the main charge and ball. I remove it and charge the pan with 4F. If I don't do that every time, I get a hang fire.

I have a .45, a .50 may be able to go twice or more between swabbings. :Questuon:

Bob,
1/16th is what I read, as well.
It looks like I can't be lazy about shooting flintlocks and must clean after every ball.
Ron

When ever I try to sneak by without running a pick through the touch hole, it is hit or miss whether it will fire or not.  I don't swab the barrel every shot but I think it is a good idea.  I watched a YouTube video and this particular shooter ran an alcohol patch down the barrel after each shot.

I use a tiny wire pick after I load up. Just push that through and get down to it!

Latest posts

Back