Corrosion in BP cartridge

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long before corrosion affects the case integrity of a loaded black powder cartridge or a barrel of a loaded muzzleloader?
Depends on how and how soon you clean up the cases after firing

Be aware that some case styles especially some popular for bp cartrige guns (old baloon head 45lc eg) have very thin walls in critical areas and you should take the extra time for detailed inspection between loadings

Depends on how and how soon you clean up the cases after firing

Be aware that some case styles especially some popular for bp cartrige guns (old baloon head 45lc eg) have very thin walls in critical areas and you should take the extra time for detailed inspection between loadings
Thank you. I was asking about loaded cartridges that might not get fired for several years. Shelf life of a loaded BP cartridge might be a better question. One in particular is a 50-90 Sharps. How much corrosion occurs inside the loaded cartridge? Experience and opinion welcome.

You should not see any corrosion inside the loaded cases as long as the cases were well cleaned and dried just prior to loading. Maybe check the relative humidity when you plan to load them and hold off if its high enough to wring water from the air.

I wouldnt worry about loaded ammo and shelf life UNLESS storage has been inconsisten - moisture, flooding or other water immersion etc

Good news is any sign of such should be really obvious

Unfired BP isn't corrosive.
But a thin card over the powder if you load a lubed wad into the case might be a good idea. Or storing them bullet down.

Thank you. I was asking about loaded cartridges that might not get fired for several years. Shelf life of a loaded BP cartridge might be a better question. One in particular is a 50-90 Sharps. How much corrosion occurs inside the loaded cartridge? Experience and opinion welcome.
Several years won't get it. usually pulls case in half

How long before corrosion affects the case integrity of a loaded black powder cartridge or a barrel of a loaded muzzleloader?
Is the brass new or have they been fired? If fired, describe how you clean the cases. it wouldn't matter if it was 50-90, 45-90, 45-70, 32-40, etc. If the cases were CLEAN and dry before loading, a properly loaded BP ctg. will last for decades if stored properly and will fire like normal. X

P.S. By clean, I mean tumbled in some type of wet or dry media so the inside of the case is squeaky clean.

Back