Costs of custom built muzzleloaders...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
The costs of custom built muzzleloaders keep going up. Have you seen what these gunsmiths are asking for some of these guns. I was on TOTW looking at muzzleloaders - WOW couldn't believe how the parts and the assembled guns have increased. I'm used to $1,800 to $2,200 prices. Now a nice (what ever by a good builder) are a $1,000 dollars higher or more - $3,400 to 3,600 prices is shown on many of them. 😕

Seems like alot of $,$$$. Are there different grades (USA, China, etc.) of parts, or are all parts created equal?

Cant believe that GRRW Leman for 1399 hasnt sold then Buck as thats a good deal for that gun.

Marty all the parts being used on GRRW and GRRW.CA guns were/are made in the good old USA while some of the other manufacturers get their parts from overseas. For quality and from what I have seen, some of the stuff from other countries are not the quality you would want.

Yes Al, a gun priced that low should be gone, ($1,399 if it is really a GRRW/GRRW.CA rifle) that price today is close to what labor would be. I'm lost where did you see this rifle?

Id think about it if it was a 54 Pete. Id like to have a Leman especially in a full stock

Marty all the parts being used on GRRW and GRRW.CA guns were/are made in the good old USA while some of the other manufacturers get their parts from overseas. For quality and from what I have seen, some of the stuff from other countries are not the quality you would want.

Yes Al, a gun priced that low should be gone, ($1,399 if it is really a GRRW/GRRW.CA rifle) that price today is close to what labor would be. I'm lost where did you see this rifle?

Thanks Buck'. It sounds like you get what you pay for.

Id think about it if it was a 54 Pete. Id like to have a Leman especially in a full stock

I never wanted a Leman but I always wanted a fullstock flint Hawken. I agree it would have to be at least a .54 to be able to hunt for elk in Colorado.

That's true Marty, I spend a lot of my time talking to suppliers about pricing, quality of the different parts and any issues they have heard about different parts.

Pete I have a H.E. Leman Indian Trade Rifle (fullstock) and a J&S Hawken (fullstock) both in .50 cal. Jonathan wrote a report on the Hawken when he had the gun for various services which ended up being just applying a different finish and sighting it in, eveything we were planning on doing had already been done at the time of the build.

Both guns are flint, the Leman has a single trigger while the Hawken uses the double triggers, both guns have a 3-4 lb trigger pull. Personally I like the single trigger of the Leman but the appearance of the Hawken. Both of these guns were on the money copies of originals that GRRW had at their shop to copy and make the prints that Track of the Wolf sell today. All the guns we offer today are copies of original guns either purchased or loaned to GRRW.

hawken.jpg

leman.jpg

nw.tradegun.jpg

The only weapon that's just slightly different is the NW Trade Gun in .50 cal. copied from an original seen at the Denver Museum of Natural History 40 years ago. This smoothbore weights 10 pound because of the barrel thickness, otherwise its the same as any other good copy of a NWG. Being heavy makes the .50 cal. shoot like a .36 cal. (just heavy).

That's true Marty, I spend a lot of my time talking to suppliers about pricing, quality of the different parts and any issues they have heard about different parts.

Pete I have a H.E. Leman Indian Trade Rifle (fullstock) and a J&S Hawken (fullstock) both in .50 cal. Jonathan wrote a report on the Hawken when he had the gun for various services which ended up being just applying a different finish and sighting it in, eveything we were planning on doing had already been done at the time of the build.

Both guns are flint, the Leman has a single trigger while the Hawken uses the double triggers, both guns have a 3-4 lb trigger pull. Personally I like the single trigger of the Leman but the appearance of the Hawken. Both of these guns were on the money copies of originals that GRRW had at their shop to copy and make the prints that Track of the Wolf sell today. All the guns we offer today are copies of original guns either purchased or loaned to GRRW.

The only weapon that's just slightly different is the NW Trade Gun in .50 cal. copied from an original seen at the Denver Museum of Natural History 40 years ago. This smoothbore weights 10 pound because of the barrel thickness, otherwise its the same as any other good copy of a NWG. Being heavy makes the .50 cal. shoot like a .36 cal. (just heavy).

I bought my custom Lancaster pattern flinter from GRRW Australia in the 60's cost a bomb but it was a match winner , really worth the money it is true spend the money cry once . Rob

"GRRW Australia" is not the same company as Green River Rifle Works in Roosevelt UT, those guys used Doc White's patented name and copied the guns the American firm was building. Phil Meek can probably tell the whole story on this firm.

Back