CVA Apex/Belm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old/new

Reaction score
FYI...here is Mike Belms latest news letter and it's about the Apex. Granted, Mike is primarily a center fire guy but there is some good info here for those interested in this gun. I will post the ML portion when he sends it out.

This ole TC tech of 30 years with Illinois Yankee pig farmer roots is just a whistlin' Dixie today after his CVA conversion last Sunday through Wednesday this week at BPI headquarters in Georgia.

Shortly after returning from our gunshow tour, I got a call from Mark Hendricks, head technician and now vice president of BPI. He informed me that (after about a 2 year long brain storming exchange between the two of us) it was time for me to go to the company offices at Norcross, Georgia for a little bass fishing, getting better acquainted, and above all doing some hands on work with the new CVA Apex rifle.

So early last Sunday I found myself on a plane to Atlanta.

Frankly it took a day or two being there before the full impact of the invitation sank in. It is one thing for two techy types like Mark and me to brain storm about barrels, guns, accuracy, etc., by phone and email, but entirely another when you find yourself the sole guest of both the president, Dudley McGarity, and the vice president of a company as large as BPI/CVA who set aside this block of time during their busy work week for a one-on-one tour of their facilities, socializing, and serious shooting at the company lodge.

It was simply a genuine privilege and tremendous opportunity to brain storm and work with two of the most progressive, dedicated, and innovative minds in the hunting firearms business today, minds backed and fueled by the ultra modern Bergara manufacturing plant in Bergara, Spain.

I was the sole guest invited, yes, but at my suggestion we all took the opportunity to invite Russell Lynch of M.A.X. Muzzle Loaders down from neighboring South Carolina to the meeting and some range work as well. Russell, www.maxmuzzleloader.com , is getting ready to do video on Encores, starting with trigger work. More on Russell's work later.

The fishing was great! Catching wasn't so good, but the conversation lively.
The next morning Dudley ruined me. The morning started with my first ever round of sporting clays. Given the choice of shotguns, I simply had to satisfy for the first time my lust from youth for the Browning over and unders I could never bring myself to buy. I've been away from shotguns for years, but had a ball, rusty as I am, hooked on the sport, and could never ask for better hosts than Dudley and Mark. Great guys!

Then the REALLY serious fun began.

Remember the request I made for load data for the Apex .308 Win. so many of you graciously shared your .308 Win. data for? Well, it didn't show up before I left for Georgia, as planned, so Tuesday morning was the first trip to the range with the Apex, and it was everything I expected it to be..... and more!

After the natural feel of the gun in my hands, the first thing I noticed was the absense of that "twaaaang" you get closing the barrel on an Encore. The weight, 25" length, contour, and fit of the Apex barrel make it close more like that high quality Browning o/u shotgun I had just put 50 rounds through, nice and solid.

The overall weight, balance, and feel were every bit what I expected from the photos of the Apex. The recoil pad is super, cheek piece a tad sharp on top compared to a custom rifle roll over cheekpiece, but VERY comfortable for an ambidextrous stock. Trigger pull on the actions I shot were a tad heavy, probably in the 3 1/2 pound range, but adjustable from 3-5 pounds I understand. The important thing is the trigger is quite clean, is a new, patented design, one far less prone to "bump off and representative of the state of the art engineering going into the CVA/Bergara product lines.

Unlike the TC "Pro Hunter" hammer, the Apex comes with a hammer extension that screws INTO the hammer from either side AT A VERY FUNCTIONAL RIGHT ANGLE FOR BEST GRIP/CONTROL. Since most people put hammer extensions on the right side, the extension has LEFT HAND THREADS so that when thumb pressure is applied, it tightens the extension instead of loosening it.

Unlocking the barrel is very easy and smooth.

It also comes with a "Claw" sling and Durasight scope base specific to the Apex, so no hunting around for a scope base is required.

Barrel changing is just like with the Encore. Remove the two 8x40 screws, tap out the hinge pin, and install another interchangeable barrel.

Not the least of the purposes for the trip was helping make the Apex be all it can be like we have done for the Encore, and with the quality Bergara barrels it should be a snap!

Folks, I don't get to do serious shooting very often, so my bench techniques are not as refined as I would really like for them to be, but here is one prime example of what the Apex will do with factory ammo:

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=455

Scroll down the website page for target and gun pic.

Then we got to black powder CVA style! What a surprise for a muzzle loader rube like me AND a muzzle loader pro like Russell! Again.... more on that later!

All the best!

Mike Bellm

..... I wish I was in Dixie.......

thanks for sharing that. You think Mike might have been happy with the rifle? :)

Underclocked said:
thanks for sharing that. You think Mike might have been happy with the rifle? :)

I think so. I'm sure this was more than just for pleasure, I'm betting there was a business meeting stuck in there somewhere. :wink:

This is the first and ONLY CVA that has piqued my interest. I am sure the Accura is just as capable as a muzzleloader, but just can't get past the longneck stock. Notice in the pic that the stock was hidden behind the bench? I hope they didn't stretch the wrist out on that like it looks in the pic?

UC,

I am more curious as to what Mike Bellm "DID NOT" say in his article. They did not fly him to Georgia to just shoot.

There are rumors to a CVA Encore style frame that can handle the high pressure cartridges. Some tool room samples have been built.

HMMM!!!

Chocdog

choc-dog said:
UC,

I am more curious as to what Mike Bellm "DID NOT" say in his article. They did not fly him to Georgia to just shoot.

There are rumors to a CVA Encore style frame that can handle the high pressure cartridges. Some tool room samples have been built.

HMMM!!!

Chocdog

wouldn't that be what the optima elite is. It is pretty much the same options as the encore, quality is the same but at a much lower cost as they don't have to rely on selling the guns to us as a way to pay for all their prostaff.

frontier gander said:
the Apex and optima elite both can use centerfire/muzzleloader barrels.

Took the 270 out today to get it sighted in for my son and i had it bore sighted a couple months ago. They adid a horrible job. At 75 yards it hit 3.5 feet above the target in the big cedar the target was up against.
Once all finished that bergara barrel will stack them tight.

I am loving my Elite

What were you shooting in the .270 Bergara barrel? I only had a short time with mine but the handloads I tried with heavy bullets did not do so well. My Savage did better with the same loads.
OptimaAndy said:
frontier gander said:

Took the 270 out today to get it sighted in for my son and i had it bore sighted a couple months ago. They adid a horrible job. At 75 yards it hit 3.5 feet above the target in the big cedar the target was up against.

I am loving my Elite

I am using the remington express core-lokt in a 130 grain.

MLKeith said:
What were you shooting in the .270 Bergara barrel? I only had a short time with mine but the handloads I tried with heavy bullets did not do so well. My Savage did better with the same loads.
OptimaAndy said:
frontier gander said:

I am loving my Elite

i once had my scope bore sighted with the electronic thing. they never charged me for it which was good because at 20 yards i was well over a foot to the left :lol:

Yes, the APEX is the high pressure frame and no, the stock doesn't have the gooseneck look.

Nope.

n2baqu.jpg

It is a new frame but the gun companies do develope new projects that never make it to production. Only time will tell especially in these economic times.

Chocdog

Underclocked said:
Yes, the APEX is the high pressure frame and no, the stock doesn't have the gooseneck look.

I was refering to a new frame that can handle the torgue, pressure and recoil shield area of a "WSM" and more.

Chocdog

.300 Win Mag is the stoutest caliber I see listed for the Apex. If there is another, stronger frame - I've not heard about it elsewhere. :)

I had loaded some 175gr. Barnes XFB bullets and with 41gr. IMR4064 and Remington standard rifle primer they did not shoot well in the Elite. The same bullets shot well in a cheap Kmart Savage rifle and scope combo that they had put on sale for $199. At that time I did not have a .270 so I bought it hopeing that at the low price if it was junk I could live with it. It is a tack driver even with the cheap scope. I wanted to hunt with the Elite as I had a tag for Mule deer and the bullets were loaded for Elk. Finally went with the Savage but did not get to shoot anything anyway. I will have to try some lighter bullets to see if that is what the Elite likes. I may have to break down and shoot some factory bullets if I can find any that are still on the shelfs. Most of my sources for bullets and powder are completely sold out although I have a fairly good supply of everything. Once everybody stops hording the stuff it may get back to reasonable availability and price, --- I hope!

OptimaAndy said:
I am using the remington express core-lokt in a 130 grain.

MLKeith said:
OptimaAndy said:
frontier gander said:

I am loving my Elite

Latest posts

Back