CVA Breech Plug Advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crashman

Reaction score
I have a CVA Apex, love the rifle and have killed a few deer with it and it has proven accurate and handy in the field. But, I am having a hard time getting a replacement breech plug, the one that came with the rifle was accidentally dropped, and it now has a small dent on the inside rim where the powder would contact the end of the plug. It does not seem to have overly affected it in a negative way, but I have been trying to get a replacement and so far no luck. I am in Canada so BPI can not send it directly to me even though they have them in stock, so they put me in touch with the Canadian sales reps and they don't have them as they carry no inventory, so on to the warranty centre and lets just say my confidence is low in me actually getting a replacement. I grabbed a CVA Accura breech plug from Cabela's, and the threads match and the gun locks up, but the knurled diameter is a little smaller than the original so I am not sure if I should load up and squeeze the trigger.

So, a few questions I have, do you think the Accura breech plug is safe in my Apex? And, I find the Winchester 209 primers I use (blue box) create a LOT of blow back and soot, how do I deal with that? I see some guys use an O ring, I would certainly try this as it seems simple and inexpensive. I also see a guy in Manitoba Canada that makes small rifle adapters that fit in the 209 pocket of the breech plug, he claims it reduces the blow back and improves accuracy, any thoughts or experience with these?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Yes that is the one! Unfortunately BPI won't ship to me because of some agreement with the Canadian distributer. If you wish to sell yours please PM me and we can discuss. Thanks.

As far as the web site says yes the small rifle adapters are still available.

https://www.prbullet.com/vf.htm

You are welcome to the breech plug. Also, i can send you a few o-ring to try. Those adapters are about the same as a primer; i don't believe they will reduce blow by. Small rifle primers may reduce a crud ring if you burn 777 powder.

If you wish, i can modify the breech plug so it will be compatible with Blackhorn powder.

ronlaughlin said:
You are welcome to the breech plug. Also, i can send you a few o-ring to try. Those adapters are about the same as a primer; i don't believe they will reduce blow by. Small rifle primers may reduce a crud ring if you burn 777 powder.

If you wish, i can modify the breech plug so it will be compatible with Blackhorn powder.

I would suggest getting this done, Ron does fine work.

ronlaughlin said:

Thank you! I will take that offer for the breech plug. PM inbound.

Back