CVA Wolf V2 Misfire - Help Needed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoda4x4

Reaction score
I bought a CVA Wolf V2 for my daughter and replaced the breech plug out for a SSK (Breech Plug Body, Bare Primer, CVA 2010 and Newer Accura, Optima, and Wolf Breech Plug) one so I can use BH209 with it. The details of my load are: 50gr BH209 by volume, Hornady SST-ML 250gr bullet with sabot, and W209 primer. What I'm seeing is roughly 1/3 of the time when I pull the trigger, the hammer drops and the gun doesn't fire. If I cock the hammer again and pull the trigger on the same load it fires. I'm thinking that it's got to be the breech plug because I had to crank down on it the first time to seat it, otherwise the trigger didn't work correctly. Thoughts?

David

I wish I could help. Hopefully someone who knows CVA's better than I do will chime in. All I can think of is the seating of thee breech plug. If it is sealed up, and it should be with a W209, and the flash hole is clear it should go? What dothe firing pin marks on the primer look like? Any burs that may be slowing down the firing pin?

Did you try the original breech before replacing with the SSK? I replaced mine with one from Muzzle-loaders for my CVA Accura MR for use with BH209.

Last edited:
2nd post I've seen in a short amount of time concerning specs on an SSK breech plug. I would contact them and explain what's going on, I've heard they have good customer support. Firm seating on a new CVA breech plug is normal, that makes for a good seal on the snout of the plug.

Did you try the original breech before replacing with the SSK? I replaced mine with one from Muzzle-loaders for my CVA Accura MR for use with BH209.
I didn’t because I only use BH209 powder and the original breech plug isn’t compatible with it.
Flash hole is clear? Or is getting gunked up ?
The flash hole isn’t the issue. The first time the misfire happened was literally on the first time I pulled the trigger.

David

I didn’t because I only use BH209 powder and the original breech plug isn’t compatible with it.

The flash hole isn’t the issue. The first time the misfire happened was literally on the first time I pulled the trigger.

David
For the sake of troubleshooting, you can install the original breech plug and snap some primers without powder. If the original breech plug works, you’ll know the SSK is the problem.

Did you use the tool to install the SSK plug? Your supposed to use it for the first install to seat the plug.
What tool? They didn't supply one. But with that said, I had a tool from my other BH209 breech plug and torqued the SSK one pretty hard.

David

What tool? They didn't supply one. But with that said, I had a tool from my other BH209 breech plug and torqued the SSK one pretty hard.

David
Yes that's the tool I'm talking about! I didn't know if SSK supplied one or if the CVA tool would work with the SSK plug. Sounds like you did use it and should be good there.

Something to do with breech plug. Sounds like primer pocket. Is out of spec. Anyone u know use the same plug? Try there's to see if it makes a difference. I run same load in my CVA Optima V2 50 LR nitride rifle. Never had any missfires. I use regular Winchester 209.

If the gun was shot using the original plug and getting any blowback, I’d take a peek at cleaning the firing pin and spring. Any gunk back in there could slow the pin strike enough to partially indent the primer without it going off, while a re-cock and fire finishes the job.

If the gun was shot using the original plug and getting any blowback, I’d take a peek at cleaning the firing pin and spring. Any gunk back in there could slow the pin strike enough to partially indent the primer without it going off, while a re-cock and fire finishes the job.
The gun was brand new and had never been shot before. As I stated previously, I don't own any powder other than BH209 so I wouldn't know if it shoots regular powder in the original breech plug.

David

Put in the factory plug and try my accura fires black horn with its regular plug better than bh plug . I had hang fires with the bh plug. I gave my bh butt plug away . I use whitehots pellets and powderex p (FFF)for loose powder. The loose powder is cheaper of the 2 that I use . My gun is a 50cal. accura v2 2016 model and it shoots just about any bullet MOA at 100 to 150 yards. I would just try to use factory plug, seat the bullet really hard onto the powder that blackhorn needs to be compressed to fire.

I bought a CVA Wolf V2 for my daughter and replaced the breech plug out for a SSK (Breech Plug Body, Bare Primer, CVA 2010 and Newer Accura, Optima, and Wolf Breech Plug) one so I can use BH209 with it. The details of my load are: 50gr BH209 by volume, Hornady SST-ML 250gr bullet with sabot, and W209 primer. What I'm seeing is roughly 1/3 of the time when I pull the trigger, the hammer drops and the gun doesn't fire. If I cock the hammer again and pull the trigger on the same load it fires. I'm thinking that it's got to be the breech plug because I had to crank down on it the first time to seat it, otherwise the trigger didn't work correctly. Thoughts?

David
I would try using a Federal 209A magnum primer or a CCI 209M primer…they are expensive!…I had the same problem..IMHO!..but, mine would fire the W209 primer but, not set off the load!..until I put another primer on it..hope this helps..:)

Put your original plug back in or buy the CVA version for Blackhorn. Use the goofy wrench that came with the gun and crank it down as tight as you possibly can. Remove the plug and use it finger tight thereafter.

Back