CVA Hunter load recommendations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a CVA Hunter 45-70 that's converted to smokeless using the HIS ignition system. Currently I am shooting the Fury Star-tip 250gr 40cal (.399 on caliper) with 53grs of H4198 with mediocre Accuracy. I know that's somewhat of a reduced load but I wanted the recoil manageable for my nephew. Now that he's grown I would like to find a more accurate and perhaps little hotter load although I prefer accuracy over speed if I have to choose. Any help is appropriate.

Go straight to 57 grains and shoot the 225 Fury 40 cal or the 240 OT or even that 250 that you're already shooting just take the load to 57 and see what it does to your groups

I do not Chase velocity ever, accuracy is the most important for me that 57 grain load is consistently where the accuracy is with the light blue sometimes it may be 56 or 56.5 but 57 is a sweet spot if you go much more than that you're going to have plastic issues I shoot IMR but if I had my choice it would be h

I do not Chase velocity ever, accuracy is the most important for me that 57 grain load is consistently where the accuracy is with the light blue sometimes it may be 56 or 56.5 but 57 is a sweet spot if you go much more than that you're going to have plastic issues I shoot IMR but if I had my choice it would be h
I will give that a try. Thanks for the info.

Back