CVA LR-X in .45 Cal. Recommended loads?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm fairly new the inline muzzle loader game. I have shot and hunted with a Remington 700ML off and on for years and that is as modern as I have used. A novice still for sure. I have a new CVA LR-X in .45 as the thread title states. It seems these bores run on the loose side. I have some ELRs to try but there is no BH209 powder available right now it seems. I have some 777 pellets and some RS Pyrodex. Haven't had a chance to try the ELR's for accuracy. I would like to shoot bullet to bore but that seems like it is going to require bullet sizing. Some seem to like sabots some are very against in regards to accuracy.

Also, the manual says that the loose powder breech plug is all that is supplied with the gun because BH209 is the only recommended powder. I have another CVA Accura breech plug for it that is for pelletized powder. There isnt any harm in using that as long as max load isn't exceeded, correct?

I have the 45 LR, not the LR-X. I have never shot pellets in mine but it came with the "pellet" breech plug. I had to buy the Lehigh version of the loose powder breech plug. I shoot mainly bore sized conicals (346grain) that i cast my self and some No Excuses lead bullets(460 grain) I size to .453 for mine and shoot them on a wool wad or home made sub base on 80gr by volume of bh209. If i was shooting T7 i would shoot the same amount of 2f (80grains) but i would use the muzzleloader 209 primers and not the shotgun or magnum 209s. Or ideally the Western conversion and shoot CCI musket caps. But i also shoot 200 XTPs in a lightblue crush rib sabot on 90gr by volume of BH209. Basically if i had to use T7 i would shoot the same loads but a different ignition to minimize the hard crud ring in the bore and probably damp swab/dry swab between shots. I shoot a lighter load than many who swear that 100-110grains by volume is the sweet spot with a 250ish sabot bullet.
If i had to use pellets then 3 50grn pellets would not be too much for that gun under a 250grn bullet.

Typically, how well does a .40 cal bullet with sabot shoot out of a .45 cal rifle? i assume that velocities go up.

Also, the manual says that the loose powder breech plug is all that is supplied with the gun because BH209 is the only recommended powder
That is because other powders will likely need swabbing and you are not going to be able to swab with a bungee cord ram rod. Its for LOADING ONLY. Says so right in the manual.

Back