CVA Mountain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenbbrown

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently came into possession of a sidelock rifle and am trying to get as much information as possible about it.

I also saw a post referencing someone in this discussion group collecting serial numbers and dates of purchase.

Finally, I sent an email, attached, to CVA requesting information.

If anybody can add to this I would appreciate it.

The information below starts with the response from CVA/BPI.

My questions are below the response from CVA.

Thanks for any information or help in pointing me to a source of information.

Steve Brown

From CVA/BPI:

The rifling I believe is 1-60" twist. The mountain rifle came either in
"German Silver" or browned steel. We discontinued that rifle over 12 years
ago and we don't have more information. The .58 caliber rifles were made in
real low production numbers, but as we didn't keep any information or serial
numbers there isn't any information about production numbers or years built
available.

The breech plug is NOT designed to come out, EVER.

We discontinued all of our side lock rifles, pistols and black powder
revolvers a number of years ago. Approximately two years ago we sold all of
our spare parts to Deer Creek at 765-525-6181. He may have any parts you
may need. Dixie Gun Works at 800-238-6785 may also have these parts.

Ken

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 11:18 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Sidelock Mountain Rifle Question

I have a sidelock Mountain rifle with the following information;

1. Serial number 0000448 stamped on the barrel near the breech end
2. .058 caliber stamped on the barrel
3. 32" long barrel
4. Connecticut Valley Firearms, Inc.
Black Powder Only, stamped on the barrel
5. No other markings on the barrel, although I have not had the rear
sight off. I don't know if there would be any markings under the rear
sight.
6. No patch box
7. 2 wedges hold the barrel to the stock
8. Hook style breech plug

I would like to know;

1. The year of manufacture
2. Rifling
3. Any other information regarding the gun is appreciated
4. I have downloaded the Warranty manual from your site. Thank you.
5. Are there any guidelines for removal and replacement of the breech
plug? I see this as a critical component. Removal actually looks
pretty straightforward but I want guidelines and warnings from you, if
available.
I want to check the condition of the bore.

Nice looking gun.

I can't wait to fire it.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Steve Brown

Hello from Germany!

Here is some advice for handling. For removing the barrel out of the stock you have to pull the wedge pin which is in the middle of the front part of the stock. For removing the nipple you need a special tool, a nipple remover. The barrel is cleaned from the muzzle to the breech with a cleaning rod and patches soaked with some kind of bp solvent as long as they come out clean. After that season the barrel with special seasoning patches. The best equipment for cleaning the ignition channel are pipe cleaners soaked with solvent.

For shooting start with PRB, I recommend a . 565 RB and a .010" patch, further more 70-90 grs of FFg bp.

Has the rifle a adjustable rear sight?

Pics would be helpful.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Hi Kirrmeister,

Thanks for the advice.

It has two wedge pins. I have had the barrel off. It looks very similar to the 54 caliber rifle that FrontierGander has, or had, i.e., similar stock with no patch box.

I will try to post pictures this weekend.

Both my brother-in-law, who used to shoot black powder a lot, and the warranty manual suggest hot water to clean the barrel and then a coating of oil.

I do not have the nipple tool but will try to find one. It looks like I could use a thin crescent wrench. I might be able to borrow a tool from my brother-in-law, hoever, most of his rifles are flintlock.

Then there is the issue of a place to shoot, and where to find ammunition and powder.

Regards,

Steve

1:70 1:72 for the .58cal

That unmarked barrel with no build date could be an early built Douglas barrel.

To check condition of the bore, Rusty/pitting wise, its best to just use a bore light.

I think i either used a .560 or .565" ball with a .018 pillow tick patch.

Why i ever got rid of my 58 i will never know :( I loved that rifle.

I have the 6x1mm nipple.

Can I use a 209 primer with this nipple or do I need to use a #11 cap?

Initially I will use Hogdon Pyrodex RS.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

steve, do a search for the hubbard mag spark 209 adapter. You can convert it if you'd like. All of my mountain rifles were #11 and i never had any real trouble with it.

Im having bad ignition problems with my CVA moutain stalker. 5 caps to get it to fire. I have standard caps and nipple. Using pyrodex. If I cant get to be cosistent when shooting she might find a new home :( .

d5nuke,

have you tried rem. 11, win magnums, or any other hot #11?

i have had that problem with an tc new englander owned at one time

How do the caps fit? I always take mine to the drill press and put it into the chuck and then turn it on and use sand paper to smooth out the nipple shaft. It removed enough material so the cap slips all the way on easily but isnt loose to where it would fall off in the field.

Turn the rifle over so the lock is pointing towards your feet, smack opposite side of lock area and that will help shift the powder into the drum.

my caps dont fit real snug. Im always having to watch that they dont fall off. They sit up to high on the nipple. I think I will sand the nipple downa bit and try some hotter caps to see what happens. I dont want to get rid of the gun its a blast to shoot when it goes off :lol:

You can also try the #11 magnum caps together with a hot flash nipple. That will be able to ignite even pellets in a sidelock. Tested it with good success in my Traditions Deerhunter which have a similar breech plug as the CVA mountain.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I will start with the standard #11 caps. I don't mind experimenting a little if required. I have almost everything I need to shoot except for a place to shoot. I expect to have that issue solved shortly. The gun is cleaned up and appears to be in pretty good shape. It was pretty heavily greased up for long term storage, except for the trigger area. There is a little corrosion there but not too bad. I don't yet have the proper size cleaning jag but did manage to get hot soapy water in it and a kitchen towel (cut into long narrow continuous strips, pushed in with the rod and pulled out with the fabric).

The bore was pretty clean. No rust or burnt powder.

As said earlyer go with the mag spark it uses a 209 primer which is hotter by a bunch .I use them on all 10 of mine cap locks now for barrel on this gun I belive its 1-48 twist because was to be made for maxi balls not saying a 1-60 mite shoot them also with a 80 to 90 load

Oh trust me, you wont have to get rid of it. Im always more than happy to take in rifles and check them over and get them working properly. All i ever ask is that the owner picks up the shipping tab after i am finished.

One of these days, Maybe this winter i will get some camera help and make a video over looking the Percussion rifle and how to load it and if you get misfires/hang fires, i'll be able to show you what can cause them and how to fix them.

I finally shot the .58 caliber Mountain rifle this weekend at the range.

27 shots.
.57 ball
.015 patch
60 grains Pyrodex RS
Remington #11 caps, I have the CCI #11 Mag caps as backup but did not use them.
3 misfires on the second shot, then a hang fire.
After that no problems for the other 25 shots other than completely missing the target for the last 5 shots.
50 yd (36 m) target

The first ten shots were spot on (within 5" of center).

Next time I will try more powder and clean the barrel every ten shots to see if I can blame fouling of the barrel or fatigue.

I am hooked. I might be looking for a flintlock soon.

I'd consider opening up the flash hole to a bigger size.

If you want, you can send me the nipple and i'll do some work on it.

Thanks for the offer.
My guess is that it will be okay.
I don't think it had been shot in years.
I am going to try to put 50 rounds ( more likely 30 rounds) through it this weekend to check several powder loadings and cleaning schedules.

Back