CVA Mt Rifle finished

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firestick

Reaction score
dsc_0019.jpg

Turned out ok. Not my best effort but fatigue recovering from cancer treatments lingers on and on. Plus my eyesight isn't what it was when I was 40 either. The colored of the stock turned out what I wanted.One day I will get some rottenstone and rub it done for a satin finish. Bluing was satisfactory except a couple spots had discoloration in the barrel metal that I couldn't remove with sand paper. I wasn't about to start filing without and experts opinion of what it was. Anyway it added to the older look I was going for. Lock functions well. Trigger is good but not great.I don't know its quality so I don't want to adjust it down too fine and create a dangerous condition. All in all I like the look I went after and hopefully it will serve well in bringing home a few whitetail does for the freezer.

I like it to. One thing that might get me however is the tacks on the cheek piece. That's right where my face goes.

FrontierGander said:
I like it to. One thing that might get me however is the tacks on the cheek piece. That's right where my face goes.
I thought of that too.

I really like customized gear.  Being hand-finished you will enjoy hunting with that smoker! It's certainly one-of-a-kind with the silver. :ttups:

The tacks he had in it were large upholstery tacks. They rubbed on the face. These are small pure brass  escutcheon tacks that are very low and close to the surface. They are not noticeable at all to the touch or face. The barrel is stamped HORSERIDER as that was his name in the Crow tribe. The only change I would like is a buckhorn rear sight. I will look around for one or something that catches my eye (pun intended)

I almost left the nose cap silver too since it is pewter. I may change it later back to natural buffed out pewter for a more blended balance from nose to heel.  Thank you for the compliments! Now to find a place half dry so I can shoot it. LOL

Back