CVA Optima Breech Plug hole size

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rvrrat14

Reaction score
Does anyone know the drill bit size needed to clean out a standard CVA QRBP? This rifle is newly purchased. I’ve got a torch cleaner for the small end. Thanks!

Take a look at this

Attachments

• 2E8553A1-0EAA-4CE3-877C-6A046339298D_1_201_a.jpeg
    2E8553A1-0EAA-4CE3-877C-6A046339298D_1_201_a.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 39
Your welcome, maybe if you take the breech plug to a hardware store that sell single drill bit you could find the right size or they may have a gauge to size the hole.

I use a 1/8th drill bit in a homemade pin vice to clean the hole while shooting. It's just a small wooden dowel with the bit pressed into it.
When I get to cleaning the gun when ready to put it up I soak the breech plug in Hoppes9 to get the primer residue out.

drill bit size needed to clean out a standard CVA QRBP?

The flame channel is 3 mm diameter. If you cannot find a 3mm drill, a #32 drill is quite close. One could use a 7/64" drill too if not too fussy.

One could also drill out the flame channel to 1/8" quite easily. Just be sure to stop when the flash hole is encountered.

I checked the plug and a 7/64 bit will fit a CVA Standard QRBP flash channel hole and was able to find a small Hobart torch bit cleaner that fit the flash hole (4th cleaner from the smallest side).

Thanks to all for the suggestions! Very helpful to get started!

Back