CVA Optima V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 25578

Reaction score
Hey there y'all what kind of range limit is expected from a cva optima v2. I'm using 100 gr of pyrodex preformed pellets and a 250 gr sabot.. I just started shooting and have only owned a muzzle-loader a little over a month and keeping within a 6 inch spread @100 yards. Still gotta a lot of work to do before i feel comfortable @100 yards (within 3 inches) @ least that's my goal.

Welcome, Mrtallz!

I echo deermanok’s suggestion on loose powder. It will allow you to measure each charge individually, vs. depending on a pellet that might have a chip missing on it (altering charge weight).

Loose powder also allows you to adjust charge weights in much smaller/more precise increments, wile you try to develop that “perfect” load.

What kind of sights are you using? Open sights? Scope? Aperture (“peep”) sights? Red dot? That can make a HUGE difference, as well...

Welcome to the “rabbit hole” you just went down. It goes on forever! 😆

Welcome, Mrtallz!

I echo deermanok’s suggestion on loose powder. It will allow you to measure each charge individually, vs. depending on a pellet that might have a chip missing on it (altering charge weight).

Loose powder also allows you to adjust charge weights in much smaller/more precise increments, wile you try to develop that “perfect” load.

What kind of sights are you using? Open sights? Scope? Aperture (“peep”) sights? Red dot? That can make a HUGE difference, as well...

Welcome to the “rabbit hole” you just went down. It goes on forever! 😆
Thanks for your support on this. So I picked up the CVA Optima V2 with a scope. The scope that came with it is a Konuspro 3-9x40

Hey Mr Tall,
I just received my new Optima V2 with scope mount. I purchased a long eye relief Bushnell 3-9x40 Dusk to Dawn Scope. Got it all Loctite’d down and ready.

I too am going to start with pellets. Should receive them Monday, followed by primers within the next day or two. Planning on 2 White Hot pellets using Hornady Bore Driver FTX 290gr 50cal bullet.

Good luck to ya!

Hey Mr Tall,
I just received my new Optima V2 with scope mount. I purchased a long eye relief Bushnell 3-9x40 Dusk to Dawn Scope. Got it all Loctite’d down and ready.

I too am going to start with pellets. Should receive them Monday, followed by primers within the next day or two. Planning on 2 White Hot pellets using Hornady Bore Driver FTX 290gr 50cal bullet.

Good luck to ya!
Hey that's awesome and congratulations. A lot to learn from the guys here on this forum but gotta say i'd be kinda lost without them and highly appreciate their input.

I spent several hours today in the hills where my in-laws usually hunt deer and elk. Just stomping around with my muzzy getting a feel for the weight and area in an attempt to be better prepared for the next season. The weight wasn't bad after several miles of trekking and traversing and definitely found myself excited for the next hunt. Think i'll invest in a shooting stand or tripod that's lightweight but can handle the recoil of the big 50.. As always, open to suggestions..

I personally don't want to carry more than I have to while hunting, especially when not in my treestand. I can sit with my back against a tree and quite easily balance my rifle on my bended knee for the shot.
A bent tree branch has also been employed as a shooting stick.

I carry and use the Primos tripod trigger stick. Easy to adjust to standing or sitting position and rock solid. I've killed many deer using it!
I cant find a comfortable position to stretch my 7 foot frame out on my stomach so I've proceeded to take more practice shots while straddling a collapsible stool and a tripod would really hit the spot.

I use folding aluminum shootnig sticks that I sit behind to get above the grass. A friend uses home made shooting sticks for standing shots. Just a couple of square 3/4"x3/4 inch sticks lashed together with leather shoelace.

Some guns shoot great with 100 gr. of pellets, and some don't. 6" at 100 yards isn't great. With loose powder, start at 80 gr. and work up in 5 gr. increments to about 120 gr. You will probably find a load that shoots well. Changing bullets makes a difference too. Of course, some of that depends on your shooting skill. The best way to improve that is to shoot more. I hunt using binoculars, so a sling is critical. I use a home made Safari sling. Good luck.

+1 to the primos trigger sticks. I have the bipod version but will most likely get the tripod version and give the bipod to my son. They double as a nice walking stick in terrain
Thanks very much for this information its very helpful

+1 to the primos trigger sticks. I have the bipod version but will most likely get the tripod version and give the bipod to my son. They double as a nice walking stick in terrain
That's what I did. Started with the bipod, they won't stand up by themselves. Gave them to my son and got the tripod. Much better and easier for me!

Thanks very much for this information its very helpful
I like the idea of the tripod the most mainly because of the added stability i'll get per shot. I also like the fact that it doubles as a walking stick however at my height (7') I'm working on a custom one of those lol

That's what I did. Started with the bipod, they won't stand up by themselves. Gave them to my son and got the tripod. Much better and easier for me!
what tripod did you go with? i'm looking for a lightweight yet durable setup.

Back