CVA Optima V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of the tripod the most mainly because of the added stability i'll get per shot. I also like the fact that it doubles as a walking stick however at my height (7') I'm working on a custom one of those lol

they go up pretty high. I am 6’5” and I don’t think I have even come close to using 1/2 the height.

they go up pretty high. I am 6’5” and I don’t think I have even come close to using 1/2 the height.
They will adjust up to 62". I'm 6'2" and have used it to the max...had a buck actually walk up to me one year while I was walking in at daybreak in a cut corn field. He saw me and stopped. I had the trigger stick up an the gun ready after I had to take off the secondary safety. He didn't go another step!!

Back to your 6" groups. My scoped optima is a little over an inch@ 100 off bags with Blackhorn powder@ 85 gr wt and 250 Barnes TEZ or TC cheapshots. We tried pellets in my daughter's Wolf and shots were all over the place even at 50 Yds. Went to grain powder, 45gr wt., and groups tightened up for her.
Also, you mention you are 7 foot tall. I don't know how experienced you are with shooting, but your rifle probably doesn't fit you. How is your cheek weld? Do you have to reach or back off to get your scope in your eye?
Edit to add: Since you are new to this MZ stuff I listed my powder in Weight, most will use Volume.

Last edited:
Back to your 6" groups. My scoped optima is a little over an inch@ 100 off bags with Blackhorn powder@ 85 gr wt and 250 Barnes TEZ or TC cheapshots. We tried pellets in my daughter's Wolf and shots were all over the place even at 50 Yds. Went to grain powder, 45gr wt., and groups tightened up for her.
Also, you mention you are 7 foot tall. I don't know how experienced you are with shooting, but your rifle probably doesn't fit you. How is your cheek weld? Do you have to reach or back off to get your scope in your eye?
Edit to add: Since you are new to this MZ stuff I listed my powder in Weight, most will use Volume.
So while using the same pellets @100gr and sabots @250gr ( Because I bought so many ) I've been able to get my groups down to 3" @100 so I'm now cutting my grouping in half which i feel much better about. This also to add is from a seated and standing position looking at it from different angles and light. Yeah i'm pretty stoked lol. However i know i have lots to learn and combinations to "trial and error" before i would even dare consider myself seasoned enough to attempt a kill and unfortunately the weather hasn't allowed for much more practice. Ordered my loose power set up just last Saturday and a few different varieties of bullets @ different grns so once the weather clears up i'll be trotting down a different, much deeper part of the rabbits hole lol.. The next topic; Its size and yes its small for me so i'll be shopping for a much bigger rig (open to suggestions) however it feels and rests pretty good, I have total control at every pull of the trigger and i'm only getting better considering I am pretty new at all this.

3" group is fine for hunting 100+/- yards, maybe more. Guns of old, were shooting 3" groups from the factory and that was good enough to fill the freezer.
Have fun and enjoy the learning experience.

I was also wondering about the fit of that gun to you. Boyds stocks are available in different LOPs but first you gotta know what you need. They also have an adjustable stock. The Accura X has the adjustable stock and it would be good if you could put your hands on one and see if it has enough adjustments for you. Then you could get an idea what length fits you better.

I practice offhand, sitting and prone positions for competition. This helps me when hunting where I use offhand and sitting positions. When elk hunting 75% of the time I’m in a ground blind covering a water hole or game trail. For tripod used I use a tripod with a v-Attachment to cradle the rifle or use a tree as a brace when I can. Never been a fan of those trigger stick bipods/tripods. A real tripod helps me with a spotting scope or Bino’s find and identify the animal. A quick release adaptor on all my equipment makes for a fast change over.

Something to consider for stock fitment is using Kydex spacers between the stock and recoil pad on a CVA in-line. I actually ordered a slip on LimbSaver for my .54 Renegade when I’m doing long range sessions. Thing works great.

I have an ACCURA V2 . A solid load for me is 70 grains (weighed on a scale) BH209, Federal 209A primer, Barnes 300 grain Expandable ,and a MMP Black sabot. Average muzzle velocity 1859

Attachments

• b209muzzleloaderdata.pdf
    849.5 KB · Views: 15
I was also wondering about the fit of that gun to you. Boyds stocks are available in different LOPs but first you gotta know what you need. They also have an adjustable stock. The Accura X has the adjustable stock and it would be good if you could put your hands on one and see if it has enough adjustments for you. Then you could get an idea what length fits you better.
That's a great idea I'm going to do that thank you...

Oh if only the short people of today knew a tall man's struggles lol...
I have an ACCURA V2 . A solid load for me is 70 grains (weighed on a scale) BH209, Federal 209A primer, Barnes 300 grain Expandable ,and a MMP Black sabot. Average muzzle velocity 1859
Hey thank you for this chart I really appreciate it.

I use a older stoney point shooting sticks. I am 6'8 i use them all the time. Deer and coyote hunting when i am setting on the ground. I have to 2 pr. They fold up and comes with belt carrier.

Try lose powder. Keep shooting adjusting your powder weights until u find it. I shoot CVA Optima v2 50 LR nitride rifle. Konus pro 275 with blackhorn 209 . And a hornady 250 gr sst bullet. My group are under an 1 inch at 100. I do shoot out of a lead sled.

Back