cva percussion 45 pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strong eagle

Reaction score
bought a good used one from a member here. made in the 70/s. going to strip the varnish off of the stock and redo it. rust blue all steel metal parts. polish the brass parts perfect. put a back of combustion chamber vent hole for instant ignition. will post pictures when im done. it will be way better than it was ever ment to be. i like to make things nice like this fine gun. the wood is beech and takes the right kind of stain very well.

Roger I am sure it will turn out great as all  your project do, you are one talented individual! I sent you an email, to Rog and Kari, you might want to check It out!

the nipple and drum clean out screw are froze and are not responding to break free oil. sooo im going over to a friends shop and heat it to a soft and not harsh red and they they will come out with ease. cant think of any other way, can you guys?

finished it this morning, pictures will follow in a few days. oiled finish. rust browned metal. brass parts polished to bright and no scratches. adjusted the trigger pull to very good. all wood and machined screws except hammer screw and drum screw polished to a chrome finish and left that way. in times gone by many guns just had polished screws on the as well as wood screws. shoots real nice and tight at 10 yards. easy to load. magspark nipple. tiny hole in breech to make for a instant ignition. the beech wood cva uses shows a nice figure with the unique stain i used. feels good in the hand. again pictures will follow when my wife has the time.

when their are pictures every one will see the magspark nipple. some will say not traditional. how ever shot gun primer nipples have been used in various designs since the shot shell was invented in the 1800/s. as to the vent hole to relieve back pressure for faster more reliable ignition, that has been around since the 1840/s. some may also say that you lose ft. per sec from the vent hole. no more than a flintlock does. this little 45 round ball hand gun will always fire without fail, always be simple and reliable and be accurate and nice to look at.

loaded it this morning with 40 grains of blackhorn 209, two 60 thousands poly wads on top of that. then 3 round balls with the top one patched. shot at a heavy sheet of metal, the kind used on old barns, galvanized. it made a one and half inch hole in the metal at 10 yards just a couple of inches above the point of aim. with the 209 powder their is little if any clean up. the primer was a cci shotgun primer. easy to load, and easy to shoot. a good gun to carry in my old pickup with the above load in it for a mountain lion when i see it. hard to miss with the above load.

we tried to post the pictures but he site wouldnt take them. so we sent them to another member to see if he could get them on this site.

unname12.jpg

unname13.jpg

unname14.jpg

unname15.jpg

unname16.jpg

unname17.jpg

i have too concur with you strong eagle and apologise it is a ***** trying to post pictures

this site is hard to post them on so my wife sent them to frontier gander and he dont it for us. thats what i will do from now on, thanks again frontier gander.

Latest posts

Back