Darned Elk!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTY

Reaction score
I checked on one of my game cameras this afternoon while out hunting. It was hanging askew, the bottom was open, the batteries were scattered, and the SD card was hanging out. This was in the area where the poacher had been last week. I thought, "Huh, why didn't he take the camera."

When I looked at the SD card I first saw a herd of elk. Then there were about a dozen pictures of parts of an elk face, neck hair, and the last picture was a close up of an eyeball.

There was a little blood on the camera, as if she had cut her lip on an edge of it. One of the batteries was beat up. They are AA. There are, or I should say were, two soft rubber covers on the bottom. They seal off the DC and USB ports. The covers were gone. They may be stomped into the ground, but I could not find them.

These are old Leupold cameras. I called Leupold, and luckily they still had covers, and shipped them no charge.
When I was walking back to the house with the parts of the camera, I had a doe in the crosshairs for a minute or two. She was about 50 yards away. She got a pass as I recognized her at the one with twins that has been hanging around for months.

So far this year we have had deer, elk, bear and wolf in the yard. On the smaller side, I have only seen turkeys, ruffed grouse, one skunk, and rabbits.

Dang, that’s a bad deal. The worst I’ve had is coons eating the antennas on my cell cameras.

We ran big gun irrigation in some of our hayfields. The smaller solid sets are about 3 to 4 feet tall and in winter they’re a bit shorter. Elk are touchy critters and I’ve watched them as they graze by a gun, touch it and reflexively kick it. Bang! $200 repair bill. Just like that. Not to mention kicking holes in the irrigation pipe, holes in the pond and ditch liners, etc… they can be expensive to keep around.

We ran big gun irrigation in some of our hayfields. The smaller solid sets are about 3 to 4 feet tall and in winter they’re a bit shorter. Elk are touchy critters and I’ve watched them as they graze by a gun, touch it and reflexively kick it. Bang! $200 repair bill. Just like that. Not to mention kicking holes in the irrigation pipe, holes in the pond and ditch liners, etc… they can be expensive to keep around.

But tasty!

Latest posts

Back