Deciding what rifle for my bear hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black bears were virtually eliminated from the Eastern U.S. by .45 (average) cal. round ball. No disrespect, but black bears are more likely to run from you then attack or threaten.....thus my astonishment when my first bear offered aggression. The number of other bears I have encountered over the years scampered away. However, if anyone has any anxiety I submit the following from Colorado Parks and Wildlife Mag:

I visited with Bob Thompson, our Assistant Chief of Law Enforcement, about the question. Bob’s guidance is pretty clear on the proper use of the handgun in the field. The paragraphs below summarize the issue. Bottom line is the first sentence. There is no “backup handgun” for hunting big game, the manner of take allowed is what is prescribed for the season and the license.
There is no such thing as a back-up sidearm during hunting season. You may carry a handgun with you during the act of hunting for personal protection but that is the purpose. There is no specific requirement for a legal handgun for personal protection (barrel length or caliber)except that it is in legal possession of the person under Colorado Law.
The use of a handgun to “put an animal down” would only fall into use during a rifle season and then the handgun must be in accordance with a legal method of take and meet the criteria listed in the interact​ive Big Game Brochure, i.e. At a minimum, it must have a four-inch barrel, fire an expanding bullet of .24 caliber (6 mm) or larger and use a load that produces a minimum 550 ft. pounds of energy at 50 yards. Shoulder stocks or other attachments are prohibited.
The manner of take is the important part here. During archery season, no firearm can be used as a legal method of take. During muzzleloading season, the only legal method of take is a black powder firearm. You cannot use a handgun to shoot an animal to “finish it off” in either of these two seasons.
 Call CDOW if any doubts. :D

I always knew this and it's the reason I don't carry a handgun. I could have used one a few times, but i'm still here without having one.

Besides it makes hunting bears more exciting. Fun is measured in heart beats per minute for me. More beats, more fun.

still thinking on the subject but I am really set on using the 50cal. I may even have the new mountain rifle by the time hunting season rolls around!

If you want to use the .50 use it. It will kill a bear, but try to blow it through both lungs and use enough powder.

Bring a bowie knife for backup. :hats off:

Yeah, its unit 84.

I'll have my brother with me as well, so its basically 2 guns if it comes down to a charge after the first shot.

Just be careful out there. Even black bears can be unpredictable:
cOsx1I.jpg

Ron

Well I am going with the .50cal patched ball. I want to get some experience and there's only one way to do so. I'd like to keep the bears within 75 yards since we have to make sure they are cub free. 50 to 75 is most likely where the action will happen IMO.

Had some left over no excuse and a mix of 348 405 and 444 lead powerbelts left. I didn't have a use for either of them because the NE's were to large in diameter and the lead powerbelts foul the bore badly due to no lube being on them, but either way, I sat in the shop casting bullets this evening and took my time.

Not sure of the lube on the NE's but its blue and turns to the nastiest tar when it melts. I left it in the pot for 10 minutes and when i came back a weird orange scab from the lube was just sitting on top.
IMG_7667.jpg

IMG_7669.jpg

IMG_7674.jpg

Made a BUNCH of .490 and .530 round balls for my brother and I and hes using patched ball for his doe and cow elk hunt.
IMG_7672.jpg

Back