Deer hunting should be picking up

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
Yesterday we were the recipients of snow, lots of snow :? and I spent a couple of hours behind my snow blower :( . In total we got about 8 inches which has recked the streets for a while. The temperature has also dropped dramically. This morning it bottomed out at - 21C (-5F). This should stir up things and get the rut going. My hunting partners still has a mulie buck tag and a white tail tag. The bigger bucks should start coming out now and be more visible during daylight hours. Me, I only have a mulie doe tag left and can't hunt until next week, but hopefullly can go out with him this weekend and help him load a big one into the back of the truck :wink: .

cold??? not here

As I read this it is over 70 degree's in Maryland today. Good weather for striper (rockfish) fishing in the ocean surf since the heat has slowed the rut.

Youth day deer hunting is this Saturday and my Son's Pro hunter is going hunting with him again. :D

RAF, you should go with him and be the camera man for the trip, like they do on Dream Season, may make for some interesting conversation at a later date.

If I go with him, I'll definetly have my camera.

Not only is deer hunting going to pick up, it's going to get tough. We've had a lot of snow in the past week. In fact we got dumped on last night. Just came in from another hours of snow blowing. My hunting buddy went out by himself last Saturday and got his 4 X 4 Dodge stuck. Took him 5 hours to get himself out. Just getting in to where we hunt might be an adventure :roll: .

RAF,

I hunted for four seasons in the vicinity of East Trout Lake north of PA.

Whereabouts do you locals like to hunt?

jim

Normally we hunt south of Saskatoon. Where I hunt is pasture land which is open areas with poplar bluffs. It's sandy but the grass grows there. Also sage brush and cactus, so you have to be careful where you sit down :shock: :) .
Interesting that you mention east trout lake. Know a fellow I used to work with that built a cabin up there. Our cabin is a Candle Lake and you would have driven by there on your way to East Trout. All the pictures I post about the tame deer were taken there. I hunted up there a couple of times but the deer, where hunting is allowed, are not as tame and only took one buck.

RAF,

Oh, yeah, I remember Candle Lake, it was along the way to East Trout. There are a fair number of cabins there too.

jim

Yup and the numbers are growing as are the values. The value of my place has trippled or quadrupled in the last couple of years 8) .

Back