deer observations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
Good morning. Today is New Years Eve and it finds me at my cabin again. Because of circumstances at home we haven't been here for 2 months. Not much has changed, except the snow is much deeper. Deer are abundant, as always. We got here Friday after noon, and after unpacking I went out to put out some feed. My neighbor has been feeding them alphalpa bails and there were a couple of does out back. It only took 3 or 4 minutes after out put out some food that bucks started showing up. It's been a constant parade of different bucks. Yesterday, my wife and I drove to the store to pick up some essentials and about 1/2 mile from the cottage a buck crossed the road. It was a big deer and something looked odd about his antlers. It appeared that one of his antlers was broken off. After we got back I was doing some chores in the yard and deer started showing up. Sure enough the one with the broken antler was with them. This is the first time I've seen this deer. He was or used to be a good 4 x 4 but the main beam was broken off right in front of his G3. Picture to follow. At this time there were 6 - 7 deer, all bucks, at the feeder. The one with the broken antler is the biggest deer of the bunch and the most dominant and got first pickings. The second largest deer had dropped his antlers and was now defenseless and even the smallest deer, a yearling spike, put the run on him. This morning I looked out and there was a deer waiting in the dark. The feeder was empty so I hurried out and got some in a pail. The deer stepped aside to allow me to pour the feed into the feeder. As soon as that was done, he started chowing down. This was a nice 5 x 5 and is the same deer that appears in my avatar. I did get some pictures and got a reasonably good one of the deer with the broken antlers and here it is.

Picture102.jpg

yout deer

RAF,

It amazes me that your deer step aside while you fill the food bowl. Just like a pet dog or cat.

Choc-dog

The deer up here are smart. They know they're in a game preserve and no one is going to hurt them. They also know what's in the pail and that's why they're there. :wink: Last winter I posted a picture of a deer at the feed eating out of my sons hand. It's getting to the point that they're pets. Yesterday I was out back watch a number of them eating some hay at the neighbors feeder and a spike saw me and came trotting yup to say hello. He stopped about 6 feet from me and just looked , cocked his head to one side. He was probably wondering why I didn't have something for him.

A quick update. This morning when I went out side there were 2 bucks at the feeder. The one pictured above with the broken tine and the big one that I've spoken of before( 6 - 9). Last time I saw him he had a bad left rear leg. My neighbor said he thought he had broken his leg. Thought I'd seen the last of him but there he was. Seemed to favor it but was walking without a limp. The broken antler was the dominant deer at the feeder yesterday and day before but he stood back and let the big guy eat and stayed out of his way. His injury is to the left rear leg about 2/3 way down from knee to foot. Here's a picture.

Picture285.jpg

Back