Deer Scent or just plain blowing "SMOKE"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pocampo

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new deer scent (deer sense) on the market by Deer Quest, LTD and if so what is your opinion about them. It makes sense that a heated smell (scent) would be easier to detect and probably carry farther than a cold applied scent. It would also act as a wind feather showing the hunter the direction of the wind at all times. Also has anyone had any luck with mock scrapes and scrape drippers?
Pocampo

Pocampo,
I've used the Deer Sense Sticks that Smoke with some good success in the past. I've only got a small place to hunt, so I have to take whatever the wind brings me. I only use them when the wind is "wrong" for my stand locations, in conjunction with my Scent Lok suit. I have had many deer come to the bucket you use, with their nose held high in the air, sniffing like a dog smelling a cooked steak. One day, I had 4 deer come in from downwind along a brushy fence line. While they were standing within 15 yards of the bucket, the wind shifted 180 degrees, and blew in the other way up the fence. Withing 3 minutes, another 3 deer came walking down the fence from the other direction, sniffing the air. Never have seen a deer have a negative reaction to them either. In my experience, they do work, only downside is that you gotta carry the bucket along, and it really smells. Don't try the one's from Tink's, I've had bad luck with those, never had any reaction to them at all.

MObigbucks,
thanks for the info. I think they just might work better than the cold applied scents. Also one of the guys on Doug's board said he takes punks the kind you use to light fireworks with, and soaks them in his favorite deer lure then lights them and sticks them in the ground. He says they work great, but only last a short time. I think both methods have merit and I think I will give it a try this season and see what the reults are.
Pocampo

In my experince(sp), I love the stuff. They make a portable "bucket" that folds up for easy carrying. I had a few great times with this product. I had 2 does come up to the bucket while I was walking down in a coullee to see what was around. I came up the coullee and I scared the deer away from the bucket, and they actually just walked away(not running) and looking back like saying"what the heck are you doing disturbing us"...I got back into my hide of willows and within 15 minutes they crossed back through the smoke and one turned and followed the smoke within 10yds of the bucket and I missed, I missed. I was holding on her chest (head-on shot) and I missed her head by 2"(80lb 2-cam Bow using 650gr arrows)........I was shaking so bad I guess and WOW was it exiting.

Drew_CareyAB,
It sounds like the type scent you were using worked great. Also that is one heck of a lot of poundage and a lot of arrow......whew! :p
Pocampo

It had if I remember like 95+Lbs of KE. At 20 yards I could punch through a 2x4 and have half the arrow sticking out the back(31" shaft), at 30yards I could go through a 2x4 but only the broadhead was sticking out.

Back