did i mess up? chokes n slugs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anonymouscowherd

Reaction score
The bead on my Mossy 500 might ooint at the same county as the pattern, but its iffy at that

Mounted a red dot sight, got it centered in pattern at 25 yards

Got pig hunt in no-rifle area coming, so I checked where slugs were hitting

You may notice I said nothing about swapping choke tubes

So I just ran 8 Foster style slugs thru my superfull turkey choke. FWIW I got OK groups at 25 yards Certainly good enough for pigs to 40 or 50 yards

Anything to check for when I get home? Waiting to get daughter from dance class, dont think they would appreciate me fundling a gun

Assuming choke unscrews ok and I dont feel a bulge, I should be ok?

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Those slugs are lead so very soft. In my shotgun forum they talk about trying slugs with different chokes to see which patterns best. Some even pattern best with full chokes over the IC chokes.

I can imagine it's scary though running it through your expensive turkey choke.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Those slugs are lead so very soft. In my shotgun forum they talk about trying slugs with different chokes to see which patterns best. Some even pattern best with full chokes over the IC chokes.

I can imagine it's scary though running it through your expensive turkey choke.
Choke came with when I bought the $80 barrel ... was quite suprised when I went to see what I had before starting to turkey hunt last fall

Probably will be looking out for a killer deal on a new toob just in case i think

The bead on my Mossy 500 might ooint at the same county as the pattern, but its iffy at that

Mounted a red dot sight, got it centered in pattern at 25 yards

Got pig hunt in no-rifle area coming, so I checked where slugs were hitting

You may notice I said nothing about swapping choke tubes

So I just ran 8 Foster style slugs thru my superfull turkey choke. FWIW I got OK groups at 25 yards Certainly good enough for pigs to 40 or 50 yards

Anything to check for when I get home? Waiting to get daughter from dance class, dont think they would appreciate me fundling a gun

Assuming choke unscrews ok and I dont feel a bulge, I should be ok?
I've always heard growin up that you can't shoot slugs thru a full choked barrel which would make a super full a really bad idea. I've never looked into the dia of what a slug is nor the dia of what a super full turkey choke is. I thought that one needed to use an IC or cly choke in order to use slugs out of it. I guess this is another great example of what happens when one listens to ppl that don't know what the hell they're talking about, yet speak as if they do, & ya don't go check it out & verify for yourself.

Foster-type slugs will “mash down” or expand to fill the available bore very easily given they are Almost pure lead. You’re gun should be fine

I had an Ithica 37 shot gun with a full choke that shot Remington slugs like a rifle, I had a 20 Remington 1100 with screw in chokes that would not shoot slugs for anything, It was pointed out by a barrel guy that the screw in choke was not centered properly when installed, changed the barrel, problem solved....

Latest posts

Back