The Worst Hunter in the World

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hair on hide are nice to hang on the wall but don't use them on the floor, over a couch or chair, or lay on them. That's when the "brittle" part comes in and the hair breaks down (the hair is hollow like a straw). You see hair on hides used to display guns, etc. on walls or in display cases.

Thanks, Bob. Thanks, Buck. 

I will use it as a display piece only. I was unaware that the hair was so brittle. It would be a shame to ruin the way it looks. It is very nice. It will set off display items very nicely.

If you manage to kill a Florida deer the first part of Bow season in our area or before October down south, the deer may still be red (in its summer coat). These hairs are not hollow and are much less brittle. They make better hair-on skins.

I knew a fellow who tied flies for fishing. He always came and collected my deer skins to use for mouse-looking flies. He always begged me for a "summer skin". One year I killed a doe the first day of bow season that was still red. I called him and he rushed over. He thanked me about 30 times for that hide because the mouse lures would sink not float like they did with winter deer skins. The winter-killed hides with hollow hair would float. 
He later sold me 5 pistols for $50 each because he didn't use them anymore. One was a .45 Colt auto that was tricked out with target sights and a trigger job. Another was a Walther P-38 that I gave to my son.

Kentucky Colonel said:
Thanks, Bob. Thanks, Buck. 

I will use it as a display piece only. I was unaware that the hair was so brittle. It would be a shame to ruin the way it looks. It is very nice. It will set off display items very nicely.
About the only tanned (hair on) animal hide that I have found that doesn't loose its hair with being use on the ground is buffalo, bear, and sheep. When we still attended rendezvous you would see new comers using deer, elk and antelope for ground covers. In a short time those hides started loosing hair, now that hair is all over the inside of their lodging, in their gear and so on. If you watch what old fur coats are made of you'll find buffalo, bear, and sheep hides being used. Smart move KC, that's a very nice hide.

Congrats on that hunt. Lesson learned track, track and track spme more. Also never ever aim high on an angled shot.
Gravity has the same effect on an angled shot as a horizontal shot. Example: if you're shooting up or down a hillside and your line of sight from you to the target is 100 yards the the horizontal distance will be somewhat less depending on the angle.

Latest posts

Back