Didnt know where to post this question?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

encore4me

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is not an appropriate (sp) question but I didnt know where else to post it. I love my Encore muzzleloader but I was wanting to get another barrel for it, is there a forum for Encore hunters to talk about different gun setups? I figured that there would be some Encore gunners on here that may be able to help me out. Thanks in advance.

Matt

We are not allowed to hunt in Ohio with rifles but I live on the Ohio River right next to West Virginia where you can use rifles. I have access to some land that I hunt and have hunted it for several years. In the past I have used a Ruger M77 300 win mag, and now I use a Browning 270WSM. Both of these guns are heavy and I am wanting to lighten things up by using my Encore. I am torn between a 24" barreled 308 and a 7mm08. Also, I want a gun for a future hog hunt or bear hunt, for this I was thinking about a 45/70 or a 450 Marlin. What are your thoughts on these.
Have you ever bought any barrels from FoxRidge outfitters?

Matt

P.S. still looking for a T/C Encore Forum.

All of my barrels have come directly from T/C. I do have a 45-70 and it is a shooter but hands down the most accurate barrel I own is a .30-06. I also routinely shoot a .25-06 and a .300 Win mag. I do shoot a .375 as well but not too many times in a row...lol

My personal choice of the calibers you listed would be the 7mm-08 and the 45-70 but that's just personal bias and nothing else.

Either 7mm-08 or .308 WCF are great for hogs, and probably would do fine for black bear. I know the .308 would be plenty for black bear, as long as you use a good, reasonably tough bullet.

IMO, the only reason you would need more gun than a .308 is if you want a longer MPBR or if you plan to hunt grizzlies, buffalo, or some non-American dangerous game. Remember--a lighter gun means noticeably more recoil from the same load as in the heavier gun. :wink:

I have a bolt gun in 7mm/08.It will do anything the 308 will with less recoil.This would be my choice,with a 139g bullet it will reliably take deer,hogs and bear.With heavier bullets it will take elk at close range.In my opinion this is one of the best non-mag rounds out there.

I have both, A 7mm/08 is a 308 case necked down to 7mm.
Hardly any difference. A 308 will shoot a heavier bullet though. For deer it wouldn't make any difference. Both are highly accurate cartridges.
RedClub

Latest posts

Back