Wolf Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWyatt

Reaction score
I have 2 CVA Wolf's. 1 is set up shooting 90grV Blackhorn, 260gr Scorpion PT Gold's, shimmed the primer pocket with the o-ring, and Federal 209A primers - shoots perfect every time, very accurate, absolutely love the gun. Last year I bought another Wolf just to have a backup and because I like the Wolf's so much for treestand hunting here in VA. Put a nicer scope on this one, and wanted to increase the powder volume and bullet weight just to have a harder hitting gun than my other wolf, longer range, knock down power, etc. Just something different than my other gun, and that packed a punch.
I tried numerous bullets but couldn't get much accuracy from anything until I tried the 300gr PT Golds and 100grV of BH. I don't "love" these bullets, and I did notice that the bore of this new Wolf is slightly larger, as all of the bullets I've tried seem to go down a lot easier. Also, my bigger concern is that even with the o-ring in the primer pocket, this gun still gets blowback and a bulged primer every couple shots. To where I even have to use a primer removal tool to get it out.
Why is this happening every couple shots? It breaks the o-ring, has blowback, and bulges and I have to pry it out. Same primer, same o-rings, etc. Did I just get a breech plug for this gun that has a tiny bit deeper primer pocket? Do I need to adjust my firing pin bushing? What is causing the inconsistent primer firings?

And on another topic, what would be a better bullet to try? Preferably something off the shelf as I am not versed in the non saboted, sized bullet type stuff out there. I tried the Barnes TEZ 290's and REALLY wanted that to be my bullet, but accuracy was terrible with every grain load I tried. 90, 95, 100, 105. PT Golds shoot "good" but not great, and everything seems pretty loose going down, so maybe something with a slightly thicker sabot?
Sorry for the 2 totally different questions in one, and thanks in advance for any help. I can play with the different bullets and figure something out, but my biggest concern is the primer problem right now.

Likely sloppy manufacturing tolerances giving you different performance with the new rifle.

As for better saboted bullets to try - lots of great choices for whitetails - 250 and 300 gr TC Shockwaves, 250 and 300 gr XTPs, 250 and 265 gr .45 Furys. You can try Harvester regular black or black crush rib sabots or MMP HPH12 or HPH24 to adjust the bore fit with .45 bullets. I’d knurl the bullets as well for use in sabots (generally improves groups and may slightly increase the loaded od).

So you think trying a new CVA BH breech plug would be a good place to start to resolve the inconsistent primer firings? Certainly would be the cheapest, easiest place to start. Just strange that it only does it like every 2nd or 3rd primer. Almost like I didn't get the o-ring seated properly, but I make triple sure I do and it still does it sometimes.

So you think trying a new CVA BH breech plug would be a good place to start to resolve the inconsistent primer firings? Certainly would be the cheapest, easiest place to start. Just strange that it only does it like every 2nd or 3rd primer. Almost like I didn't get the o-ring seated properly, but I make triple sure I do and it still does it sometimes.
Thats prob the first thing I’d try. Are the flash holes and flash channels the same as far as you can tell on the plugs you’re using (in the old and new rifles)?

Yep, everything is identical on both guns. Both are just standard CVA Wolf's with the BH breech plugs. Same primers, same o-rings, same everything. One works flawlessly, the other one often bulges the primer, blows back, destroys the o-ring. Doesn't do it every single time, but often enough that it bothers me. Flash hole and channel cleaned meticulously with torch tip cleaner and 1/8" drill bit. I keep the entire breech spotless. I can try adjusting the firing pin bushing but I'd rather not unless absolutely necessary. I don't have digital calipers and don't want to be over-crushing the primer.

Last edited:
CVA Accura LR-X with 30" Barrel is what your treestand needs for longer shots and better accuracy.

I don't need a new gun, I just need to figure out why one of my Wolf's is firing primers inconsistently. Headspace or too deep of a primer pocket in the breech is my guess, just seeing if anyone else had any suggestions. One Wolf is perfect, the other has some issues with major primer blowback occasionally.

I don't need a new gun, I just need to figure out why one of my Wolf's is firing primers inconsistently. Headspace or too deep of a primer pocket in the breech is my guess, just seeing if anyone else had any suggestions. One Wolf is perfect, the other has some issues with major primer blowback occasionally.
Have you switched the breech plugs between the 2 guns to see what happens? That would tell you if it's the breech plug itself! SSK sells a blackhorn breech plug with a vent liner for like $28.

I'm not sure that you can actually switch the breech plug between the 2 guns though, because you have to use the installation tool for the V2 guns.

Yeah I don't really want to switch them because I think once you tighten them, they mend perfectly to that particular gun. I'm going to just get a new breech plug and see if that fixes it. Thanks for the SSK suggestion

Hornady .44 cal XTPs are tighter in my wolf than Barnes TEZs when using the green .44 H5044g smooth Harvester sabot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back