Difference in 209 primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrlnfshr1

Reaction score
Have been using Win 777 and Remington Muzzleloader 209 primers with 777 in my CVA Optima with no problem. Went to order some more and noticed Midsouth doesn't carry either. Are there any differences in these and standard 209 shotshell primers from CCI, Federal or Remington? Is there any difference in ignition or fouling? Also, how do any of the above primers work with BH209?

mrlnfshr1 said:
Have been using Win 777 and Remington Muzzleloader 209 primers with 777 in my CVA Optima with no problem. Went to order some more and noticed Midsouth doesn't carry either. Are there any differences in these and standard 209 shotshell primers from CCI, Federal or Remington? Is there any difference in ignition or fouling? Also, how do any of the above primers work with BH209?

Differences..for the most part primers that say "muzzleloading" or "Triple Se7en" on them are lower energy/less spark 209s than normal "shotshell" 209 primers. So low that in some instances I have had misfires when using Triple Se7en. Fouling? I have seen no difference although they MAY help primer/blowback residue in the action of muzzleloaders. Although I briefly tried the "muzzleloading/Triple Se7en" primers I am still sticking with regular CCI 209s. Due to their lower spark Triple Se7en/muzzleloading primer are NOT recommed for use with Blackhorn 209..

I tried them all and decieded the biggest differance was in price what a rip of.

since you are taking about primers .As far as blow by , the tighter the fit the less blow by , is that the biggest factor . ??? I notice in my muzzle loaders that if the primer is tight i get no blow by , no matter how hot the primers is . When i used the Winchester primers in my Traditions Pursuit , i had to slam the gun closed and i had no blow by whatsoever . But with the Remington kleanbore primers i got better groups, but they fit loosely in my breech plug and i got tons of blow by . Is there any Truth to what i think is happening here ???? The .25 conversion brass has to be form fitted in your gun by shutting you muzzy closed . Isn't that the reason they have no blow by , the brass is so tight fitting . Does a hot primer cause more blow by , or is the shape of the breech plug and the tightness of the primer the main thing ??? Am i way off on this ??

Rob, I don't think you're off at all. Fit of the primer in the pocket and how tightly it is held in position are major factors.

ah kaint speel

i have tried them all too and i dont see any difference, so now i just go for the lowest cost.

Underclocked said:
Rob, I don't think you're off at all. Fit of the primer in the pocket and how tightly it is held in position are major factors.

ah kaint speel

I have a TC, CVA and two Savage smokeless. The savage has two holes drilled into the primer area. The idea is to vent excess pressure/gas to the sides instead of releasing straight back as a safety. I wonder if one were to do the same if blowback could be vented to the side instead of into the action or the scope?

Mike

Kinda figgered it was a marketing ploy more than anything else. Thanks

Latest posts

Back