209A primers..I’m having a hard time getting the Bh 209 powder to ignite with a standard Winchester 209 primer..how do you get a few Federal 209A prIm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will repost when they repair,replace or send a refund!..:)
From what I read about the Apollo it was 95-96 models. Evidently they were all supposed use 100 grains of black powder and some people were shooting more than that and rupturing the barrels. That's what I read anyway. Thanks

Evidently they were all supposed use 100 grains of black powder and some people were shooting more than that and rupturing the barrels

The breech plug threads on 1995 and 96 manufactured Apollo rifles ranged from defective to nearly non-existent. Those defective breech plugs blew out of some guns and seriously injured shooters. There was a recall of all 55,000 rifles sold.

Welcome from Kentucky, well blackhorn needs blackhorn 209 primers so at $89 a half pound and $27 per 100 special primers pyrodex works for me

Welcome from Kentucky, well blackhorn needs blackhorn 209 primers so at $89 a half pound and $27 per 100 special primers pyrodex works for me
I don't know about the special primers.
I've fired off blackhorn with CCI 209 primers, as well as small rifle, small pistol, and large rifle. No hesitation with any of them.

I believe any muzzleloader specific primer will be on the milder end of the spectrum.
What rifle are you using and have you cleaned your breechplug with drill bits spun by hand to scrape out hardened carbon?
Most people seem to find the regular Winchester 209 shotgun primers sufficient.

If you order primers you have to pay HazMat unless the place you are ordering from is running a no HazMat deal.
Hello ! I’m a new member, but I’d like to help. I just bought 300 Federal 209A primers from Gun Broker for $45.95 , hope This helps ! Denny

Do you have a BH209 compatible breechplug or a standard factory one for other powders?
Having a hard time igniting bh-209 powder using standard Winchester 209 primers without using 2 or 3 of them..:/..how can you get some Federal 209A magnum primers?..it seems they want you to pay 30 bucks hazmat and 10 bucks extra shipping @ most mail order places..also, do you guy’s know if the new Federal MZ 209 primers are magnum primers?…I know some of the older MZ primers were weaker..thanks!..;)
I believe that they make an aftermarket breech plug especially designed for Bh209 powder , it has a deeper port which allows the powder to be closer to the primer for better ignition ! You can check at Muzzle- loaders. com ! Hope this helps! Denny

I checked on-line at Muzzle- loaders.com and they have a Blackhorn QR breech plug to be used with bh209 powder for better ignition. It sells for $42.00 ! Hope that this helps! Denny
I was talking about the Apollo Rifle that the poster was talking about. He sent it back to CVA and they replaced it with a Wolf muzzleloader. SSK sells a plug with a vent liner that is replaceable. It's like $28!

They sent me a new wolf cva with 209 breech…they kept the recall slam-Fire gun I had..:)
That's awesome! If your going to be using blackhorn 209 powder, you'll need to get a new breech plug that is designed for blackhorn. SSK sells one with a replaceable vent liner. It's like $28 and is cheaper than one from CVA! Good luck with your new muzzleloader!

That's awesome! If your going to be using blackhorn 209 powder, you'll need to get a new breech plug that is designed for blackhorn. SSK sells one with a replaceable vent liner. It's like $28 and is cheaper than one from CVA! Good luck with your new muzzleloader!
Get a good powder!

Latest posts

Back