DISTANCE SURVEY:

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
SURVEY: At what average distance have you killed all of your big game animals?

Place your total for each distance to the right of the listing, and then perform an average.

Please include animals killed with centerfire cartridges, stick bows, compound bows, shotguns, rifles, handguns, and muzzleloaders. If you feel so inclined, separate the total into muzzleloaders, archery, and centerfire cartridges.

Please mention what species of animal you are including in your information, especially animals other than whitetail deer & mule/black-tailed deer.

I think it will be interesting to see the regional differences.

○ 0-10 yards
○ 10-20 yards
○ 20-30 yards
○ 30-40 yards
○ 40-50 yards
○ 50-60 yards
○ 60-70 yards
○ 70-80 yards
○ 80-90 yards
○ 90-100 yards
○ 100-125 yards
○ 125-150 yards
○ 150-175 yards
○ 175-200 yards
○ 200-250 yards
○ 250-300 yards
○ greater than 300 yards

Thanks for participating.

I have a journal at home with all the big game I have killed. It has the where and with what but I never took notes of distances. I'd bet money though it averages out to 50-60 yards.

I would say 1/2 between 100-200 yards and the other half between 200-300 yards. Most with centerfire in the wide open prairie.

Farthest Big Game shot - 560 - Antelope with a 257 Ackley Improved absolute perfect conditions and rest.
Closest - about 20 feet with the same gun.

Muzzleloading - 40 to 80 yards - SD is open sights or 1x only during muzzy season.

Farthest a 5x5 elk north of Steamboat at 375 yards.
Closest an archery doe in Michigan. Not sure the arrow was off the string when the broad-head started cutting.
Rifle 100 yards
MZ 50 yards
Archery 10 yards

Can't give an average, but the longest shot I ever took on a big game animal was 215 yards. Closest was a couple of feet. Started in 1959.

Most of my deer and hogs are shot from blinds and tree stands at distances of <60 yards. Once or twice each year i hunt from tower stands overlooking wheat fields. Several years ago i killed a whitetail doe at a lasered 416 yards.

Have made several longer muzzleloader shots including a hog at 206 yards, a nice buck at 172 yards and my shot on a 200 pound running sow at 226 yards. i fired from good sitting position and the shot was witnessed from the elevated stand of another hunter.

As kids and teenagers.; my brother and i learned the "trapping" method of leading running game and birds. i've used the "trapping" method so long it comes without thinking.

Most under 100 yards. One coyote at maybe 20 feet. Majority with percussion, two with flintlock, one with a Ruger Old Army. Others with .270, 30-30, .223, and .45 ACP.
Majority are while still-hunting, never used a blind.

To answer the survey question an average distance would be 50-70 yards.
Hunting location: Central Missouri
During early archery season I am usually doing good if I see a deer within 100 yards. I do not attempt to shoot at this distance.
Normal rifle season I shoot a lot of my deer at less than 50 yards.
Alternative season (muzzle loader, handgun, archery) my shoots extend out to almost 100 yards again.

In the old days it was under 100 yards. Now days with a muzzleloader for deer or elk If I'm within 220 yards, I take the shot. Javelina with a bow 10 yards. Javelina with a rifle 80 yards. Center fire longest shot 340 yards at bedded bull elk. Average 200.

This would really vary. Last years Whitetail was 312 yards, After practicing all year for a 300 yard MZ Elk shot, 312 with my Sako 7MM Weatherby was not a difficult shot. ( the supposid 300 yard elk was shot at 85 yards )

I grew up hunting in Western SD and now hunt Western KS. We didn't want to get any closer than 200 yards if we could avoid it. Of course, that is CF and we practice long shots.

With a MZ, the longest has 135 yards with most under 75. I set up in hunting situations with less than 100 as the goal.

Looking back over the last 60 years hunting,and sniping around,deer have all been 100 yards and under,with rifle and shotgun,hogs a plenty 50 yards and under,barking deer,bateng and one really pissed off tiger were taken at 20 yards,suppose tiger doesn't count really it was war time

All deer:
Muzzleloader: 15 to 160 yards
Rifle: 20 to 130 yards

The places I have permission to hunt now, I usually have maybe a 60 yard max due to the trees.

Looking back over the last 60 years hunting,and sniping around,deer have all been 100 yards and under,with rifle and shotgun,hogs a plenty 50 yards and under,barking deer,bateng and one really pissed off tiger were taken at 20 yards,suppose tiger doesn't count really it was war time

Dave- would love to hear that tiger story of you wouldn’t mind.

Latest posts

Back