DISTANCE SURVEY:

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion, tigers always count, especially ones that are pissed off.

Even more especially, if all one is armed with is a 5.56 x 45mm NATO chambered M16. Even if it is full auto.

No tigers here, but I just got a bird feeder poaching feral tomcat with a head shot - at a later measured 49 yards - with a .22 cal PCP air rifle and 6X crossbow scope.

The xbow scope's one dozen horizontal reticle lines, plus a laser rangefinder, have extended my effective range when shooting pellets from a good rest.

50 yards or less is average for xbow, ML, and V2 pistol in the WMA's steep hills and thick woods/brush cover where I hunt.

All of my archery kills have been less than 60 yards with about 25 being the closest. Most of my centerfire kills have been over 100 yards with the majority in the 2-300 yard range. Had a couple under 100 and one elk about 400. Most of my muzzy kills were right about 100 yards with one or two at about 200.

My closest shot was a Buck deer at 1 foot or perhaps less with a 12 ga 3"
Farthest shot was with a deer running from right to left maybe 75 yards.
My longest bow shot was 50+ yards and closest 1-2 feet.
The majority of Deer I shot were in the 30-40 yard range though.

1st elk 200 yd (.30-06), 2nd elk 80 yard, .30-06) 3rd elk 9 yards (bow) 4th elk (30-06) 100 yard, 5th elk 50 yards (muzzeloader). Closest approach of an elk 5 yards but didn't shoot.

Antelope by the dozen, closest 30 yards, further 800 yards, .30.06.

Moose x 1 (7mmRemMag): 30 yards and closing.

Deer: closest muzzeloader 15 yard, furthest 187 laser yards. Closest center fire 8 yards, furthest 200 yards. I brought one in with a .22Hornet (legal in some states) at 60 yards and closing. Very few deer more than 100 yards.

Closest approach by deer 28 inches; I coulda touched her with my ramrod. But I was out of bullets.

Closest MISS with a bow was 6 yards.

My closest shot was a Buck deer at 1 foot or perhaps less with a 12 ga 3"
Farthest shot was with a deer running from right to left maybe 75 yards.
My longest bow shot was 50+ yards and closest 1-2 feet.
The majority of Deer I shot were in the 30-40 yard range though.
A little explanation on the less than 12 inches. I was sitting at the base of a tree all in camo. I tried the 29 cent deer caller and yes the deer walked right up to me. I had the Rem 11-87 21"SPT with 3" slugs facing up against the tree with my right had. He walked very slow looking but could not make me out. When he was right next to me I thought for sure he would scent me but he did not. I pulled the gun forward with my right had pulling the trigger at the same time-a cowboy shot for sure but at inches away I could not miss. After the shot he took off running. I just sat there waiting. 15-20 seconds later I heard the crash. Nice buck too. Who would believe that? True story.

East coast WV & Va whitetail.
Avg distance ML 65 yds . Short 20 yds. Long 162 w/ side hammerGPR.
Avg distance while writing from a computer sitting at home about 823 yds 😁

Groundhogs -centerfire avg 325. Longest 722 yds ( hardest I ever threw a rock ) 🤣
Really though 722 yds

I have taken over 100 whitetail in Florida and 80% or more have been inside of 50 yrds most inside of 30 some as few as 5 a handful over 400. Probably an even split of firearms to bow. And half of the firearms with muzzleloader. Of the 25 or 30 muzzleloader kills at least 20 inside and out to 50 yards. Longest muzzleloader shot to date has been a 190 yarder on a small 8 pt buck with a Optima v2 and a 240 xtp with a pair of 777 magnums pushing it. Never forget it. Had a good friend and his son with me at his farm and we stalked around a field edge getting in range watching him work a scrape line. Took a rest against a tree for the shot and he took it broadside and ran down the field edge towards us and fell over dead about 50 yards away. The boy's excitement was life changing. He's been hooked ever since....

Muzzle loader 10 feet to 167 yards.
.223 running right to left coyote 40 feet to coyote running straight away 645 yards. (lucky)

rob

Back