DIY shooting sticks on the cheap

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Duster

Reaction score
Just made my first set this afternoon. Have seen them in the $40.00 and up range....how does under $3.00 a set sound ?

Items needed

Two of the coated steel rods that are used to hold up tomato cages, found at any garden center. I picked up a 3 pack of 5 foot ones for $1.99
Two castration bands from a farm supply store....100 pack cost under $2. Think very heavy duty O-rings

Hold the two rods together on the blunt ends and stretch two bands over them. Very strong bands so a extra hand is very helpful. After putting the two bands on rotate one of the rods a total circle. This causes the bands to form a X and are very stable. The other end of the rods have a pointed end that would be better suited to stick in the ground.

If anyone has problems finding the bands you can PM me a snail mail address and I will mail you a half dozen free.

First picture is of the finished product, Second picture shows the castration bands in place.

I used the 5 foot rods as they seem to be a good length when sitting in a chair in a ground blind. Longer are available.

Nice :!: :!: :!: Looks good and very inexpensive. When you try them out post a follow up report. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Ray........... :yeah:

I've been making inexpensive shooting sticks for years for less than $3.00 a pair.

TSC sells everything you need.

2 fiberglass 3/8" posts http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/s ... glass-post

4 castration bands http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/i ... ack-of-100

Pull one castration band over the blunt end of the post about 1-1/4"
Put two post together and stretch 3 bands over both of them down to the single band.
Grab the outside of the single band and stretch it back over the top of the post until it captures all three of the other bands.
Add a little dish soap and slide the four band set down about 4"-6" and you are done.

If you want to make them fancy add 3/8" ID clear tubing over the top of each post.

Excellent jobs on the shooting sticks! :applause:

I made mine out of a couple of oak strips I had laying around. Drilled a hole and put a bolt through for the hinge. Put two nails in the bottom ends for slippage.

I almost always shoot for seated position, but I can see how the castration bands would give more flexibility for sitting/ standing. I am definitely going to give this a try!

A couple weeks ago I made 10 sets ,exactly like HawgHunter describes. Gave 9 of them away to family and friends, kept 1 set for myself. :D

Thanks for the tip on the plastic tube over the end. I found some red air line near that dia in my junk box. Had to split it to get it to fit but it grips very well.

I wanted a set a few years back so I went to the local Good Will store to the barrel that has misc golf clubs. I bought two Woods clubs ($1 each)...cut off the heads and drilled a hole in each of them just below the grip, and then put a bolt and nut through and rounded off the threads. The leather grips on the clubs holds the rifle with out marking the finish and they are very strong.

Your idea with the tomato stakes is great...they can be quick and easy and cut to different sizes.

Stuff like this is why this site is so invaluable. Great job on the sticks. I'm heading to the grain store today to get some shooting sticks. :yeah:

Where I normally hunt it has lots of steep banks. My Dad has a Woodmizer saw mill so there are always plenty of Ric stick laying around. They are basically the same as a wood Tomato stick but about 6' or so long and used to separate layers of lumber in a stack. I took two and drilled a hole trough the pair and added a bolt with 2 washers. The nut was one of the Lock nuts with the plastic locking material in it. Snugged up the nut so that they can be opened and closed but still adjust firmly. They sort of look tall till you sit next to a steep bank and then find the extra length works real good. I wrap a strip of Velcro about a foot or so from the bottom. When folded I wrap that Velcro around the sticks and now I have a good "Walking Stick" for climbing the hills.

Latest posts

Back