Do They Gobble in the Fall

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Reaction score
Till this September I would have said yes but very infrequently and very softly at best.

I was in Kansas for their Sept muzzleloader hunt several weeks ago. This particular morning I arrived at my tree stand in the predawn darkness. As it became lighter I realized a storm was approaching. Thunder rolled and they started. Those birds gobbled at the thunder, a trucks backup beeper, the train whistle, a fire siren and even a dog barking. By this time I decided to head for the truck because I just didn't feel like sitting in a tree with a gunpowder filled lightning rod in my hands.

By the time I arrived at my truck I had counted 35 gobbles and there wasn't anything soft or faint in any one of them.

Yep! They will gobble in the fall. They might not come in to hen calls in full strutt wanting to breed but they will gobble.

Yep they'll gobble bout anytime or any place just not like the Spring. :)

Yes they do gobble in the fall. Most every fall bowhunting I hear them in the flocks. Some sound a little different, not as loud and complete as I hear the spring. I always guess these were jakes try thier gobble out.

Patrick and I had them gobbling all around us opening weekend in Indiana :yeah:

yep

They most definitely do gobble well occasionally (in the fall) down here in MS. Three years ago my buddy got video of a fairly large poult on OPENING DAY of turkey season!!! March15th!! We talked to the biologist at the university and the first thing he asked was did we hear a good bit of gobbling during deer season, which we were just saying to each other that we had. It had even been a talking point around the fire at the deer camp.
The biologist said it is rare, especially to have actual video, but they do breed some here in the fall.

Back