Do we know who????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m am almost positive (Scat) I will not reveal his real name did all those pressure traces. Scat is a highly educated man. He has spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on pressure trace equipment. He is a very stand up guy and trying to provide information when others will not. He has ran several loads for myself.

Maybe from Blackhorn? http://blackhorn209.com/nevada/

chart_a.png
chart_b.png

Maybe! Anything look familiar?

BpPressures.jpg
chart_a.png

I should have said for regular powder, someone had to organize the saami standard is what i meant

In the EU its all proofed to CIP standards or better but only if its for sale in the EU. Pedersoli however proofs every barrel they sell even for export to the USA.

all the guns must go through the firing tests at the Banco Nazionale di Prova (National Proof House) in Gardone Valtrompia according to the C.I.P rules. The high pressure firing test is made to all the guns whether they are muzzle loading or breech loading, and it is one of the most sophisticated of qualifications tests, involving not only actual overload firing tests but also over 40 inspections for dimensional changes which would indicate the slightest flaw.

Only the spotless rifles will receive the final proof marks and only these rifles qualify for shipping to the customers all over the World.

Last edited:
IIRC that was also for a 250gr bullet. He mentioned the bullet weight in another article too...i think...Its been awhile. I would imagine the BH209 pressures would show a significant increase in peak if a 300gr was used.

That is one thing the graph shows but notice how BH pressure curve lasts longer than the either T7 graph. indicating the pressure curve does not peak as fast nor does it loose pressure as fast. It is a slower burning powder, which is exactly what General Dynamics was after.

now put a 300 grain bullet in with that load and you would see significant difference in the traces.

It was a 300 grain Barnes Expander MZ. The time/pressure traces for Triple Se7en loose powder and Blackhorn 209 are nearly identical. Your theory just doesn't hold water.

See the top of the chart.

chart_a.png

Now compare to traces.
BpPressures.jpg

Anyone figure it out yet?

As independently tested by Lyman, a 3 pellet, 150 grain Pyrodex load pushing a Hornady 240 grain sabot out of a 22" barrel generates 27,000 psi--sparked by a #11 percussion cap rather that a hotter #209 shotgun primer

It appears possible that Lyman has done some testing too and got close to 28kpsi with a 240gr with Pyrodex pellets. That article though was written in 2003, 5yrs before the pellet4dummies article and graph were posted.

Thats what I thought, too many similarities.

the goex 4f, If it is a typo, carries across, but it doesnt seem right

Goex 4Fg is not a typo, it just shows the progression from KIX 2Fg and KIX 3Fg.

Again with this chart, although like the others this has no readings, but T7 - 2f and BH209 are equal or near equal in pressure for these graphs.

One thing all these charts have in common, IMO, is that BH209 isn't the "high pressure alert" that some might believe it is.

BH has always been noted to create less total pressure than does T7 with a grain for grain comparison and same weight of projectile. The advantage goes to BH in the length of time it creates pressure. Because BH is a 'progressive burning smokeless powder'. BH is more efficient as the projectile weight is increased. In my testing this greater efficiency really doesn't show up until shooting a projectile weighing 260/265 grains at this weight BH will create a increase in velocity grain for grain.

Not sure this chart will show what I am trying to share.

50calT7vsBHVelocity.jpg

BH has always been noted to create less total pressure than does T7 with a grain for grain comparison and same weight of projectile. The advantage goes to BH in the length of time it creates pressure. Because BH is a 'progressive burning smokeless powder'. BH is more efficient as the projectile weight is increased. In my testing this greater efficiency really doesn't show up until shooting a projectile weighing 260/265 grains at this weight BH will create a increase in velocity grain for grain.

Not sure this chart will show what I am trying to share.

50calT7vsBHVelocity.jpg

The progressive burning BH starts to increase in velocity at 110grs over T7 at 110grs, yet the peak pressure remains equal to T7?

bppressures-jpg.4308

What i am seeing on the graph is at around 0.0012 second after ignition, the pressure of the burning Triple seven, and Blackhorn powders peaks. Also Blackhorn pressure becomes higher than the pressures of 3F, and 2F Triple Seven. From this time forward the Blackhorn is burning with a higher pressure than Triple seven. The Blackhorn has the same peak pressure as 2F triple seven, but maintains a higher pressure than 2F Triple seven as the powders continue their burn.

The graph shows both Triple seven, and Blackhorn continue their burn well beyond 0.002 second, and Blackhorn exerting a higher pressure.

Because Blackhorn exerts a higher pressure longer, it stands to reason it will produce higher velocities.

I’m am almost positive (Scat) I will not reveal his real name did all those pressure traces. Scat is a highly educated man. He has spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on pressure trace equipment. He is a very stand up guy and trying to provide information when others will not. He has ran several loads for myself.

Doug, I'd sure like to see him do a pressure test with one of the .50cal Knight rifles shooting 80-90grs of 2f Swiss and a 500gr bullet. Hint, hint..... ;)

Black powder exerts a higher pressure than any powder towards the end of the burn i.e. out around 0.0015 second after ignition, and beyond. Why isn't that called 'progressive'......?

Back