Does Temp Effect Bullet Zero?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GATOR-EYE

Reaction score
I ve sighted my inline in at 100 yards when it was 80 degrees out. Easy 1.5 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards.

Shot it again when it was 40 degrees outside and the impact was about 2 inches off, still had a good inch group it was just 2 inches off zero.

Does temp. have that much effect on bullet impact in a muzzleloader?

Yes, temperatures can effect the POI. That is why I shoot my rifes in this time of year before season to make sure they are on. It sounds like you have a good group, so the rest should be easy.

The answer to your question is YES, temperature does affect the rifles zero...

This is extracted from the November 2008 issue of Field & Stream, page W9, Whitetail Handbood Tactics (sidebar) article...

'Muzzleloader seasons are common early and late in the season, but don't make the mistake of sighting in only once. What was accurate early could be way off by now, says Steve Puppe, an avid blackpowder hunter and former Knight Rifles manager. Puppe has sighted in rifles under hot, humid conditions only to find that they shot 3 inches high or low when he took them on cold-weather hunts. He deals with this by checking the point of aim of his muzzleloader whenever weather conditions change. "This is especially important if you haven't shot the rifle in a while," he says. He also keeps track of how his gun shoots through the year. "I mark every target with the load, bullet, date, and weather. Then I keep all my targets.' - Mark Hicks

Back