Don't do this at home

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very sad! A good reason not to leave them loaded I suppose. I always worry that something might happen to me, and someone would aquire my muzzleloader without knowing it was loaded.

Swampman said:
Very sad! A good reason not to leave them loaded I suppose. I always worry that something might happen to me, and someone would aquire my muzzleloader without knowing it was loaded.[/quote

Makes you wounder if we should put a tag on the gun , LOADED !!
I leave my muzy loaded sometimes for days between hunts .

Doohan said:
Wow.. that is absolutely terrible!

Terrible, YES!
Not to be insensitive but, kinda' dumb too.
Who on earth would put torch to a rifle before checking for a load?
Unfortunately and tragically, these two guys did. :d'oh!:

Makes you wounder if we should put a tag on the gun , LOADED !! I leave my muzy loaded sometimes for days between hunts .

Me too, I do tag it and explain to my wife that it's loaded before I put it in the safe.

horrible tragedy

but..........(why is there always a but)

but................. why the hell would you not just shoot it if you tried the breech plug and it was stuck then unload it (granted i understand it was found so not sure)

but........... 1st rule treat all guns as if loaded

horrible but thats not an accident its a neglegent act

Swampman said:
Makes you wounder if we should put a tag on the gun , LOADED !! I leave my muzy loaded sometimes for days between hunts .

Me too, I do tag it and explain to my wife that it's loaded before I put it in the safe.

I do the same during hunting season. I tie a piece of orange surveyors tape around the trigger guard,even though I am the only one that will handle it.

Charlie

This reinforces the old practice of placing a witness mark on your ramrod.

Chocdog

Thats just terrible, i dont understand why someone would throw away a loaded ML........

Normaly we should empty a ml when we bring it in the house.
It like a centerfire rifle , do you leave cartriges in the rifle in the house?
Even if it's not primed a Ml is charged.If a kid find the primer and try it ............
Take the time to empty your ml and pass wet patches followed by a few dry one ,then 1oily patch .It take about 5 to 10 minute to fully clean a in-line.
It's your life and the life of your kids that on the rope.
Taureau noir

I keep a loaded pistol right by my bed. I don't see anything wrong with keeping your muzzleloader loaded in the safe as long as you follow some standard safety practices.

A terrible tragedy yes, but who would heat up the breech on any muzzleloader while it is pointed at their gut, much less one you just found?

feel for the family, but dear lord what an idiot thing to do

Very sad to hear. They must not be familiar with muzzle loaders and assumed it was unloaded.

Latest posts

Back