Don't Trust Anyone Over Thirty!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just get a feeder near the truck and hunt up hill from truck. Hopefully the animal rolls that way.
My uncle was a tough old guy. At 76 he was back in the mountains 2 miles from the truck. Shot a nice elk and quartered it. Took 1 quarter and walked to the truck. Drove a mile closer and walked in and got another quarter. After getting the third quarter he was beat and could not go for the last quarter. He was devastated and never hunted elk again. At 78 I don't either. I use a similar approach to your suggestion by having a seat my son built. I am in it and do my part to keep the deer gene pool sharp. I do that by killing any deer stupid enough to come close.

I probably told this before. A few years ago a gentleman came into the gun store. He had drawn a mule deer tag on the river breaks, unit 11 in Idaho. He purchased a Winchester Featherweight as he said he was getting older and did not want to lug his Weatherby up and down the hills. When he gave me his ID so that I could run his 4473 I about fell over. He was 95.

I still remember my Uncle Lefty Beating us to our stands every morning during deer season in the UP. At 97 he finally gave up the ghost but he used to whip our a** all the time.

Still going as hard as I can at 75, but my wheels spin a lot and I’m not talking about my ATV😁. It’s gotten really hard to load a deer but I have a hand winch I can attach to a tree or inside my truck bed and it gets the job done. I still hunt alone a lot and that may end badly one day, it everyone I‘m close to knows I’m aware of the risks.
Bob I’m with ya same age same practices wife always chides me about hunting and going on boat alone but I love my my reflexive time in the woods or on the river. For the past 20 yrs while dragging a deer alone I’ve said , next time I’m gettin help. We gotta do what we gotta do brother.

Each winter while shoveling snow I think back 20+ years when I said I would not shovel snow after turning 50.

Latest posts

Back