Dragging deer - best way

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 61vGJiuEh5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61vGJiuEh5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 0
This is what we’ve use for the last 20 plus years ,one on the right is homemade.it has a doe, tree stand, and pack and rifle on it.one on left has nice buck,tree stand, pack and rifle.packed theses out over a mile and a half, With no problem. The one on left is a modified cabelas. We put 26” rims on them from Northern tool. Change the tires out with 26” mountain bike tires.

Attachments

• IMG_2442.jpeg
    IMG_2442.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3431.png
    IMG_3431.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I keep a harness in my pack and it works pretty well on bare ground as long as it’s mostly downhill, snow makes it way easier.
There’s a thing called a deer sleigher that’s like one of those roll up sleds we had as kids, it’s super slippery and you kind of lash the deer into it. Much easier to drag on bare ground.
I’ve used jet sleds, and they work pretty well.
Lastly, I’ve got a Cabelas deer cart but I’ve only used it once and that was when I had to move a deer a half mile down a gravel road that vehicles weren’t allowed on.
A harness combined with a deer sleigher are my favorite combination.
Rob is right on point for here in New England, country is way too rough in most places for a cart, although I do own on. Too many downed trees, rock piles, etc.. I have used a Jetsled, cheap plastic kids sled, but the “deer sleigher” works as good, or better than them all. Plus it is lightweight, rolls up into a tube shape, and takes up no room in the trunk.

I have used a dragging harness before and it did a good job i think. I'm usually grabbing a leg or antler and dragging if its not too far. Way back on public I try to hunt off logging road beds or access roads, If im close to those then a Deer cart is a complete life saver. I've walked almost 2miles back to the truck to get it just cause its that much easier. Typically anymore ill stash it somewhere on the way in, can take a cable lock with you and lock it on a tree as well for added security.
Unfortunately in the rocks and hilly country the best bet would probably be the "drag harness"
I use a dragging harness....when there is snow, we use plastic ice fishing sleds. I recently bought a plastic, roll up drag "sled" designed for transporting deer. I hope to try it sometime!

I use Glenns deer handle sometimes a 6ft plastic sled like 4stringdude posted. Also with 2 guys a pole works good i use this method to get them out of creek beds. My best method is a cell phone call to the young guys! good luck.

When (and if) I get a deer far off the beaten path, I get in touch with my farmer friend who has a mule. Tie the downed deer to the mule's harness and it is just a matter of steering the mule over the terrain. A couple of carrots or apples help to encourage the mule along. Where I hunt, motorized vehicles are not allowed, so no ATV's.

When (and if) I get a deer far off the beaten path, I get in touch with my farmer friend who has a mule. Tie the downed deer to the mule's harness and it is just a matter of steering the mule over the terrain. A couple of carrots or apples help to encourage the mule along. Where I hunt, motorized vehicles are not allowed, so no ATV's.
Folks in VT use draft horses to pull moose out. Pretty cool to see.

I have slings on ALL of my rifles (Except my AMD65) because if you don't, the rifle becomes a liability. It takes at least one hand to hold. Slings are cheap. All rifles deserve one. Unless it's a Hungarian AMD65 AK variant, and you forgot the sling swivel when you built it. 😆 🤣

I have used the roll up plastic drags with great results. If I am using my climber I just turn the foot platform over and use as a sled. Yes it's home made. Pic is of one being built, both pieces are almost identical except I use expanded metal on foot platform (welded) and sew a sling seat using nylon webbing for the seat platform. Approx 20 lbs when finished.

Attachments

• climber in process 1.jpg
    climber in process 1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
  • climber in process 2.jpg
    climber in process 2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 0
I took the handle off an old snow shovel, drilled a hole in it added a rope, its easier on your hand. I have used a tarp for Black Bear which is essential. A piece of plastic as noted above is also a good idea. Just take your time, steady as you go......Don't be too proud to get some help. At my age I don't hunt alone anymore, never ever should have, with the potential of accidents with tree stands and such, it's just not a good idea. Good hunting, hope your drag is down hill and not too far.

Do a search for "Glenn's Deer Handle," it basically looks like a ski rope with the line forming a loop that you loop around either a buck's antlers and forelegs or a doe's neck and forelegs.

It works very well, much better than the standard deer drag strap that is pretty common. The way the line is attached to the handle's ends, you get a lot of torque/mechanical advantage to maneuver the deer around and over obstacles and even into a truck bed.

I am not sure if they are still made but you can easily make your own with just a 10' length of rope and a 1" sapling stick, maybe a foot long. Attach the rope to both ends of the stick (not in the middle) and you have the same effect.
I made a deer drag rope similar to this, and it works really well. My biggest problem is getting a deer into the back of my Ranger or truck. I have a receiver mounted deer hoist for my truck, and it works great when I remember to take it.
I found a cheap ratchet winch at Harbor Freight that hooks over the roll cage and works to get them into the back of my Ranger. It’s slow, but it beats straining my back trying to wrestle it in by hand. I had to use my drag rope to tie the legs.
LjUBGUx.jpg

Me and a friend still hunt elk with bow and arrow, though I think I'm gonna quit, he still does, but then he's only 82. Anyway, we carry a roll of what they call smooth Barb wire and we use that to drag out elk. You can pull an awful big animal with it, by going around the neck, take a half hitch around the nose to hold it up, run the wires through a pulley on the hitch of one pickup and then hook to another pickup and just drive down the road. It's slow going but a roll of wire is 1/4 of a mile long and you can drag it that far in a straight line. It's almost impossible to save the wire for the next time as it stretches it pretty bad, but they only cost about 60 bucks and it beats the heck out of trying to do it any other way.
Squint

Just looking at the pics made me feel old and tired. I'm going to call JOUAV and ask
if they can help me spend some of my three daughters' future liquid inheritance in the form
very much like a CH-47 Chinook. I'm not really a fan of their CW-30-E's looks. Hope I can
purchase the Leaking Hydraulic Fluid option.

Last edited:
A Deer Sleigh’r and a Deer Handle, packs really small and light.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...b9jg9atw3rsvhkiwqrprgk_jqnwbzsd8aajziealw_wcb

https://www.deerhandle.com/
They ought to combine the two, there wouldn't be a much better setup, im.
Because of you, I just bought the regular and magnum Sleigh'r from SG. I'll gift to my brother the one he prefers. We hunt on a 550 acre cattle farm. Good oak and hickory woods, smooth pastures and soft rolling hills in Adairsville, Ga. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back