Ed’s 465 Grain “HAMMER”

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I got a chance to test Edmehlig’s Big 465 Grain bullets in my 1:30 Twist .45 Cal, They did great!

This was 75 yards, 85 Grains of Swiss 2F powder and a .45 Cal Wool OP Wad

Here are the bullets
0Dsmfa3.jpg

Target is just above my barrel
TA6LCoC.jpg

My first 3 shots
vUnsDbc.jpg

I went back and shot my last 2 shots, 1 went through the same hole (higher shot above bull) The Group measured just barely over 2 inches outside edge to outside edge, that would put the true group at just under 2 inches. Not bad for a Big Bullet that really isn’t intended for a 30 Twist, I will say that These are nowhere near as fun to shoot as Ed’s 350 Grain Lyman Gould :D These 465s pushed by 85 Grains of Swiss 2F will wake ya up :D This would make an AWESOME Elk hunting bullet for you guy’s that can legally hunt Elk with a .45 Cal
shJGfxy.jpg

I love those suckers too Lewis. But I call them "Freight Trains".

Here's one of my better 100 yard groups. But I'm cheating because the gun wears a 4X scope. And you're right, the "fun" begins to wear off after ten shots or so. 8)

40297848245_180edd07bc_o.jpg
[/url]

Lew, Great shooting especially being you used a peep sight. Your both right, they hit like the Hammer of Thor or like being hit by a Freight Train! :lol:

Funny the recoil isn’t that bad with my Whites but that’s probably because the rifle with scope weighs more.
But like you said I’d much rather shoot my 350gr Bullets.

Semi, Your Group and mine are about identical in size, had it not been for my farthest shot to the right my Group would have been hard to beat for a 1:30 Twist, just like your lowest shot :yeah: There’s ALWAYS gotta be that 1 shot :lol: This Bullet is a dandy for sure! My favorite bullet weight range in this 30 Twist is 325 to 400 Grain, i have about all of them bases in between covered quite well. The amazing part to me is how Versatile this 30 Twist .45 Cal is, i have shot everything from a 188 Grain 45ACP bullet to my largest 530-535 Grain Elliptical Nose long rangers, and every weight between in this rifle, Adjust the powder charge accordingly and it will shoot! :yeah: It really gets me that I cannot Elk hunt here in Idaho with my .45s, If i could, my Big bores would become obsolete :D Why bother with them when this .45 will do everything they will, and then some :yeah:

edmehlig said:
Lew, Great shooting especially being you used a peep sight. Your both right, they hit like the Hammer of Thor or like being hit by a Freight Train! :lol:

Funny the recoil isn’t that bad with my Whites but that’s probably because the rifle with scope weighs more.
But like you said I’d much rather shoot my 350gr Bullets.

Ed, Recoil wasn’t that bad, I’m just SUPER spoiled with light Recoiling loads in this 1:30 Twist, I rarely shoot anything over 400 Grains in this Rifle, And when i do, it makes me think “I don’t remember this thing kickin like this?” :lol: When you compare the Heavy weight 45 Cal bullets to the 50 and 54 in the Same weight range The 45 Kicks a Little less, at least in these 1” GM Barrels and TC Stocks, Those Larger bore holes make a slight difference, I notice more Muzzle Climb with the larger Bores, But even they aren’t that Bad in these Muzzleloaders. Can you imagine getting behind a Rifle that pushed a 500 Grain bullet at 3,000 FPS :shock: Not what i would consider a fun time

Latest posts

Back