Election Day buck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
23rsvac.jpg

some of youall have seen him already. :cool:

Took a real nice 10 point yesterday afternoon at 4:30pm with the S91 .451 and a 480 Bullshop. I actually recovered the conical, which did its job perfect!! I was in a blind Sun and Mon evening an was only seeing does then Mon evening right at last light at least two deer came right in front of me. I could see the first deer an it knew the blind was there an wouldn't take its eyes off, so I couldn't move. They eventually didn't like something an trotted off, so on Tues I figured if I went lower than that blind to another spot I have I could see them before dark.

So I got to my spot at 3:20pm an it was hot, 75* too hot really.. At about 4:15pm I heard a buck grunting an saw three bucks coming from the field into the woods heading for the blind. I stood up an got ready, hoping they would work their way towards me. I have killed two bucks from this spot in past years. They started coming my way, one was a broken 8pt (now5pt) another was a small rack (guessing 4-6pt) and this big deer was behind them he stood back an let the younger bucks walk on down and wouldn't move to where I could get a better shot. He was moving his head some, but standing still and I could see his left shoulder somewhat with some brush in the way further back. The broken 8pt was coming right at me an was looking at me an stopped. I had to take the shot on the big buck if I was gonna have a chance, so I held on the shoulder (guessing 60-70yds) and pulled the trigger.

At the shot the two smaller bucks took off but hung around for a while not knowing where I was, but I couldn't see the bigger buck I had shot at, he wasn't with them so I hoped he was down. I gave him about 10 minutes, then slowly got my gear together an walked up to him. DRT BABY!!

There were two holes in his neck which I was second guessing my shot, but heck he was down!! I called my friend (landowner) who came up an we tied him to his 4 wheeler an drug him to his house where I gutted him. He was so heavy it took both of us bearly to get him in the back of my truck.

I took him to a local processor as it was just too hot to take a chance on loosing the meat. When they skinned him out there was actually a hole just below the back on the left side where I had aimed. I believe he moved his head when I shot, maybe to lick his side, not sure at all, but it makes sense as the entrance was in the neck then came though the neck lower and went into the side. I actually recovered the bullshop conical too! First one since I have been shooting Whites!

He is a 165# field dressed 10point, my guess is he would have gone around 200# on the hoof. Thank you Lord!!

Wow, what a great buck toytruck! Congrats man! :yeah: :yeah: I have had deer move like that before right at the shot, I agree that sounds like what happened. Heck it had to be, nothing else explains it. Cool that you got the bullet, post a pic of it!

I haven't seen a buck yet... just some slicks w little ones. Hoping they start to move. What county did you get him? I'm in Frederick. Ready for some colder weather, this 75* stuff sucks.

Since flounder and WV asked...this is the Bullshop conical recovered from my buck above on right. Left shows the bullet for comparison. I don't have a weight scale...

WV Hunter said:
Wow, what a great buck toytruck! Congrats man! :yeah: :yeah: I have had deer move like that before right at the shot, I agree that sounds like what happened. Heck it had to be, nothing else explains it. Cool that you got the bullet, post a pic of it!

I haven't seen a buck yet... just some slicks w little ones. Hoping they start to move. What county did you get him? I'm in Frederick. Ready for some colder weather, this 75* stuff sucks.

I hear you on this hot weather. I had only seen does up till late Monday evening, not sure even if that deer that kept looking at the blind was a buck or doe, just too dark with naked eye. I killed him in Rockingham Co. my biggest to date in this county. :yeah:

Congrats! Nice Buck :partyman:

That bullet held up nice, looks like it retained most of it's weight.

I once shot a doe scratchin it's side with it's head. In one side, out the other and put a round hole in her ear.

toytruck said:
WV Hunter said:

I hear you on this hot weather. I had only seen does up till late Monday evening, not sure even if that deer that kept looking at the blind was a buck or doe, just too dark with naked eye. I killed him in Rockingham Co. my biggest to date in this county. :yeah:

That's a great VA mountain buck for sure! And that bullet looks great...perfect actually! :yeah:

Congrats Steve! :D

Congrats that's a good looking deer! Is he going on the wall?

Great buck. I got a doe during archery here in rockingham but haven't had much luck since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great Job! Thanks for the story as well on the nice buck..
Love the performance of the bullet..

Fantastic Virginia buck! Congratulations! I hunt Loudoun County. Visit family in Rockingham, but never had a chance to hunt. Maybe one day.

Tannhauser said:
Fantastic Virginia buck! Congratulations! I hunt Loudoun County. Visit family in Rockingham, but never had a chance to hunt. Maybe one day.
Rockingham is a nice place place to live, but for hunting stay in Loudoun.

50bowhunter said:
Tannhauser said:

If it wasn't for private land I really wouldn't have any places to hunt anymore. I used to hunt an kill at least one maybe two deer a year on National Forrest, but the deer have gone down to private lands where the food is. DGIF is trying to get the deer back with strict regulations, so maybe someday. I want to give it a try again this year, might get some exercise if nothing else...

toytruck said:
"50bowhunter" said:
"Tannhauser" said:

If it wasn't for private land I really wouldn't have any places to hunt anymore. I used to hunt an kill at least one maybe two deer a year on National Forrest, but the deer have gone down to private lands where the food is. DGIF is trying to get the deer back with strict regulations, so maybe someday. I want to give it a try again this year, might get some exercise if nothing else...
National forest has gotten pretty pathetic in most places. I spend a few days in the mountains every year but have only killed two deer on NF in the last 10 years.

Latest posts

Back