Encore BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippedr1

Reaction score
I finally got BH209 I am shooting the regular encore and I was shooting
100gr T7 with 250 shockwaves. Does anybody have a good starting point with the BH209 ?

I was thinking of starting at 90grs and working from there but would like input from people who have already worked on their setups. Where I
hunt the max shot is around 75-100yrds so I really dont need a magnum
load. Thanks again

rippedr1 said:
I finally got BH209 I am shooting the regular encore and I was shooting
100gr T7 with 250 shockwaves. Does anybody have a good starting point with the BH209 ?

I was thinking of starting at 90grs and working from there but would like input from people who have already worked on their setups. Where I
hunt the max shot is around 75-100yrds so I really dont need a magnum
load. Thanks again

I would think 100 grains would be more than enough , I am shooting 95 in my Encore SS .with a 300 grain xtp . Next time i go i may drop down to 90 and see what happens . Not getting the groups i like at 95 , but the last time i went my forearm was loose :oops: and it was 100 deg out and my barrel was hot . The first three shots were touching then my groups went south. Thought it was the heat , until i got home and noticed my forearm was VERY loose . :oops:

I have experimented with BH209 loads from 80 to 100 grains by volumne with bullets from 250 to 350 grains & almost every time I got my best groups using the 80 grs. I tried conicals & sabots.

I hunt in northern MI and have shot 16 deer from 17 to 125 yards with centerfire cartridges and haven't hunted with ML yet I think 80 grs. of BH209 with these weight bullets should be sufficient at these ranges.

redbird2

BH is a bit different, at least it seems so to me; my experience is if the gun likes the bullet it will start shooting decent groups at about 80 gr and keep doing so to 110 or 120 depending on how well it likes the bullet . I shall be interested to see what others experience is. Lee

Tried only 1 load, looks like a winner

I weighed 65 gr BH209, probably around 95-100 by volume, I don't measure volume. Anyway, I was shooting 50 yds, scoped for groups and got 1/2" consistently (3 times in 2 days) with Speers (240 or 250 :?: .429") and green sabots so no more work needed. :lol: Didn't do so well with Shockwaves or XTPs. Ok, I'll be doing a lot more experimenting in the next weeks with SW, XTP and Barnes but have an easy fallback for the Encore. I had posted the set-up for sale and there are pictures of the groups there but the deal fell through and i think I'll hang on to it for a while cause it's shooter. :D

My Encore likes 250SWs with 90gr on up to 115gr by volume of BH209. Best groups are typically at 110grs, same for the 275gr Parker BEs which shoot much better than the SWs.

Latest posts

Back