Encore Hing Pin

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gporter

Reaction score
If you have tried an oversize hing pin to improve accuracy on an Encore, what kind of results did you get?

One of my Encores seems to be erratic-- shoots good one day, not very good the next time out. The hinge pin is not very tight. I shoot quite a bit and I have ruled out all the usual suspects. I tried the same barrel on my other Encore (which has a tight hinge pin) and the accuracy improved. What do you think?

hinge pin

It seems to help consistancy. Go to mike bellem's site. He has written reams of material on making encores shoot. There are lots of how too's and words of caution that need to be adheared to . The man knows encores and contenders. He offers services if you prefer some one else to do the work. Some of the work any body can do. It will be along read but worth it if your serious about making an encore shoot.
Wayles

My Encore does get some horizontal spread. The hinge pin is out of round. If I close the breech and the barrel will wiggle right to left, the shot will be off horizontally, usually to the right. If the barrel does not wiggle when the breech is closed the shot will be dead on.

Make sure that you also tighten those 2 forend screws on your stock and that you have them about the same each time you take down your gun. I made a mental note on the slot alignment of those 2 screws on both my Encore and Encore Pro Hunter. On the Pro Hunter one screw is little longer then the other as well and it should be placed back in that same whole. I have never needed anything other then the supplied hinge pins on my two rifles but a loose and inconsistent forend tightness can cause accuracy issues too.

Curtis

gporter said:
If you have tried an oversize hing pin to improve accuracy on an Encore, what kind of results did you get?

One of my Encores seems to be erratic-- shoots good one day, not very good the next time out. The hinge pin is not very tight. I shoot quite a bit and I have ruled out all the usual suspects. I tried the same barrel on my other Encore (which has a tight hinge pin) and the accuracy improved. What do you think?

You might want to check these out as well:

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0049161216442a.shtml

locker.jpg

Back