Encore owners, 209 primer type question please.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ART338WM

Reaction score
I would like the opinions of any Encore owners out there who have been using either or both the new Remington Clean bore 209 primers or Hodgdon 777, 209 primers for shooting Hodgdon 777 BP substitute out of your Encores. These are the new 209 primers, that according to thier manufactueres, are specially formulted to drematically reduce the fowling caused when shooting Hodgdon 777.

I bought and plan on giving both a try, but I strongly feel it could prove invaluble to have some real world experience from Encore owners who have used them enough to form a fact based conclusion on weather or not thay work as advertized in greatly reducing barrel fowling ahead of the breach plug.

I have shot over four pounds of 3-F 777 out of my Encore and my only complaint to date so far is that God D***n fowling that collects in the barrel just ahead of the breach plug.

All information will be greatly appreciated, and I will post a detailed review of my range results once I shoot both the Remington Clean Bore 209 primer as well as the Hodgdon 777, 209 primer.

Thank you,
Arhtur.

crud ring

The crub ring is just a fact of life with the 777 powder. The higher the charge weight of your load the thicker the ring. Just break the ring free after each shot as the range as most of us do with a wet patch.

My personnal observation is there is less build up with the new T/C pro hunter breech plug than with the standard breech plug. The T/C pro hunters I have shot this year have not exceeded 105 grains of 777.

Most on this site have expeirimented with different primers to solve some of the build up.

The crub ring is just the negative by product of a very fast powder.

Choc-dog

Black Mag3

ART,

contact black mag 3 at Magkor and at 407-682-4742. Order some BM3 and say goodbye to your Crud ring.

I have almost finished my first two pounds of it, am getting another pound from someone on here and ordering 6 more pounds to be shared with goosehunt2. I will be doing more shooting and love the fact that this powder is so easy to clean, multiple shots (10+) without swabbing the barrel. Give them a call or look up their website.

Paul

I don't like the Remington Kleanbore 209's, in the Encore, as they "freeze up" the firing pin after twelve shots. You then have to take the whole gun apart including the firing pin area and clean it out. I have found that graphite works great in the firing pin for a dry lube.

I tried the Winchester T7 209's this fall and like them so far. I still get some fouling in the breech area, but the barrel is clean enough to load three additonal shots without swabbing. Actually the additional shots went down easier than the first load in a clean barrel, this was using two pyrodex pellets and not triple seven powder.

I have had good luck using the Win 777 primers in my Omega, which should be about the same as your Encore. I get much less crud ring and the fired primers will just drop out if you hold the gun verticle.
I haven't had as good luck with the Rem Kleenbore. Much dirtier primer pocket, need tool to remove after 2 or 3 shots, and more crud ring. Others have had good success with the Rem. Let us know which ones work better for you.

I have tried the Kleenbore's and the 777, but I went back to the standard Winchester 209's (the box with the deer on the front). Oddly enough I seem to have less blowback from them than the 777 or Kleenbores..

I am using the 777 primers with 150gr 777 powder and have noticed a big change in the crud ring area (alot less). I have noticed more blowback into the breach with some added smoke around the breach area but that is not much of a problem.

Matt

I would much rather deal with a crud ring then with the blowback. Spitpatching the crud ring out is much easier then pulling the firing pin assembly and cleaning. I just use the regular Win 209's and pyrodex.

I tried them all,and couldn't see any real diffrence between any of them. I use Cheddites. They are moisture sealed(a plus in rainy weather) and cost 20-21 dollars a THOUSAND at gun clubs. On the issue of blow back: I've found now that I clean out the flash hole,or channel in the breech plug,with a 1/8 inch drill bit every time I clean the plug,I no longer get any blow back at all! I think the blow back is more due to a constricted flash channel than anything else. I shot the Prohunter 20 times last evening,and the primmer pocket on the plug looked as clean as it did before I took the first shot. :D And after getting home I cleaned out the channel with the drill bit,and ther was a fair amount of crud in it. I don't know why T/C dosen't cover this in the manual? Ron

encore4me said:
I am using the 777 primers with 150gr 777 powder and have noticed a big change in the crud ring area (alot less). I have noticed more blowback into the breach with some added smoke around the breach area but that is not much of a problem.

Matt

Matt.....Wow! 150 gr. of 777?

You are overloaded my friend. No wonder you have additional smoke around the breach. Please be careful. Remember....777 is 15% hotter than Pyrodex.

125-130 gr. should max you out.

Spitpatch said:
encore4me said:

Matt

Matt.....Wow! 150 gr. of 777?

You are overloaded my friend. No wonder you have additional smoke around the breach. Please be careful. Remember....777 is 15% hotter than Pyrodex.

125-130 gr. should max you out.
WOW! Is right! :shock: I shoot 120grs. of T7 ,and can't imagine any more power than that. Ron

encore4me might be referring to using three T7 pellets (150 gr.) I hope so, anyway. I have shot three pellets at the range and don't see the need for it myself, but some claim that load is very accurate.

120 gr. T72Fg loose powder is max.

rks1949 said:
On the issue of blow back: I've found now that I clean out the flash hole,or channel in the breech plug,with a 1/8 inch drill bit every time I clean the plug,I no longer get any blow back at all! I think the blow back is more due to a constricted flash channel than anything else. I shot the Prohunter 20 times last evening,and the primmer pocket on the plug looked as clean as it did before I took the first shot. :D And after getting home I cleaned out the channel with the drill bit,and ther was a fair amount of crud in it. I don't know why T/C dosen't cover this in the manual? Ron

That is interesting Ron. I have experienced just the opposite. I am now on my 3rd brand new breech plug. Normally I start to get MORE blowback after I clean with a drill bit. I want to try a chemical carbon cutter next and see if that makes any diffence. If I could just cure the blowback the Encore would be perfect.

Ethan

Ethan, I've noticed that the Cheddite primers I use are a little longer,than most brands. It could be that they are pressed into the plug as the action is closed,I'm not sure. My gun is a Prohunter,there could be a diffrence in the breech plugs besides the 90 degree removal?

Great thanks to all for your information and for the time you spent posting it here for me. Im going to give the Vari-flame primer addaption system sold at Cabelas a try as it seems my cheapest way to go at this point. The only place I know of to get Black Mag3 is the maker. I have called but have had no success. I will try them again.

Again, thanks.
Arthur.

Arthur,

I have a Variflame that I tried and didn't like. It did not cure the blowback and did not improve groups to any noticeable amount. I can send it to you if you want to try it.

Ethan

rks1949 said:
Ethan, I've noticed that the Cheddite primers I use are a little longer,than most brands. It could be that they are presses into the plug as the action is closed,I'm not sure. My gun is a Prohunter,there could be a diffrence in the breech plugs besides the 90 degree removal?

That might have alot to do with it. I found taking out the extractor help some also. I think the extractor kept the primer from a flush fit with the bottom of the primer channel. If I can find some Cheddite primers locally I would like to try them. I don't want to spring for 1000 if they don't work any better. I don't know about the PH plug. I've thought about getting a barrel but that is alot of money just to cure the blowback.

Ethan

Yes it is,plus there are some guy's saying that they are getting blow back in their Prohunters also.

Latest posts

Back