Encore to Savage questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethang

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm having so many problems getting any good groups out of my Encore I'm thinking of dumping it for a Savage. My 12FLV shoots great.
I have a friend with a NIB Savage stainless with the plastic stock I can pick up. My questions are these.

The plastic stock is the same crummy one that came on my .223. I dumped that for a laminate that cost me $175.00 bucks. Are the Boyds stocks I've seen in other posts fully inleted or will I need to work on it to get it to work?

What is a good price for a stainless with synthetic stock?

Ethan

Ethang said:
Hi all,

I'm having so many problems getting any good groups out of my Encore I'm thinking of dumping it for a Savage. My 12FLV shoots great.
I have a friend with a NIB Savage stainless with the plastic stock I can pick up. My questions are these.

The plastic stock is the same crummy one that came on my .223. I dumped that for a laminate that cost me $175.00 bucks. Are the Boyds stocks I've seen in other posts fully inleted or will I need to work on it to get it to work?

Ethan

What's the problem with the Encore??? I have one as well. You are right, they are fussy. Once you find the right combination boy they shoot. My Encore just does not shoot 250grn SST'S well at all. The 200grn SST'S with an MMP blue sabot it loves. Another really good load i found was with 250grn XTP'S. 100GRNS OF 777 And A Harvester sabot. Shoots extremely accurate for me. The Savage is a wonderfull choice as well. I would go with the Laminate instead of the plastic. http://members.aol.com/randymagic/ballltd.htm

I've posted on the inline forum on my problems with it. Basically no matter what bullet/powder/sabot/charge I use it wont' group well. I've tried just about everything and have spent WAY more trying to get it to shoot then I should have. It's getting close to time to cut my loses and start over with something else. The Savage is apealing to me. My .223 shoots the heck out of anything I put in it. I have yet to find a load that dosn't shoot pretty good and most load shoot really good. I hope the same goes for the muzzleloader.

Just a thought, but have you contacted T/C about your Encore problems?

Patrick White said:
Just a thought, but have you contacted T/C about your Encore problems?

I would really do that first. Get your Encore shooting good first, then sell it. Pretty hard to sell something that doesnt work right. And yes, those Savages shoot very well. You still need to find the best load for it as well :)

I've had quite a bit of experience with the Encore and they are a real problem for sure. Here's what I did to get mine to shoot. Sand the forearm so it's not toching the reciever, oversize hinge pin and 2 1/2lb trigger job. It still will not shoot as good as a Savage. So I would opt for the Savage and get rid of the smoke too. Lock time alone will make a big difference in accuracy. All else like Patrick said you may have a bad barrel and will need to contact T/C.

We are getting off the Savage questions a bit but that's ok. I have sent the Encore back to T/C, they sent it back saying it's in spec. Did the pin, trigger job, stock sanding etc. Got the QLA removed, 6 screw base I've tried it all. I'm getting two good shots and a flyer, good enough to hunt with I suppose but not what I expect out of this expensive a setup.

I'm getting sold on the Savage. How about the stocks? Good price?

Not out of the question but he has a NIB that he won and is not interested in keeping. I saw that a laminate stocked stainless from Randy is $535.00 + shipping but no price for a standard stock. I would then have to price out switching the plastic one out.
I think the MI DNR has singled out smokeless muzzleloading this year and declared it is only legal in the rifle zone up north. I might be out of luck and have to use one of the other subsitute powders to be legal(ahem. :roll: )

You can get a Savage Stainless/Laminate for $504+ about $10 for shipping best price you can find at Midsouth Shooters Supply. :wink:

Grouse said:
I would just sale the plastic stock to someone else. Is it camo?????

nope, just plain black. I have not been able to get the Boyd page to load on my dialup computer.

So somewhere in the low $300's would be a good price for a plastic/stainless NIB?

Ethang said:
My questions are these.

Ethan

It is the same basic stock.

The Boyds are not fully inletted-- the one I have here is a "VIP" at best.

Natchez Shooting Supply stocks the 10ML-II.

Before you junk the plastic stock. Take the gun out and shoot it and see if it shoots good groups. Both of my sons have factory plastic stocked savages and they shoot extremely well.

schoolmaster said:
Before you junk the plastic stock. Take the gun out and shoot it and see if it shoots good groups. Both of my sons have factory plastic stocked savages and they shoot extremely well.

Now why didnt i think of that. :? That's some great advice. :)

Ethang said:
I think the MI DNR has singled out smokeless muzzleloading this year and declared it is only legal in the rifle zone up north. I might be out of luck and have to use one of the other subsitute powders to be legal(ahem. :roll: )

Nobody except you will ever know what's behind that 1st bullet

Another smokeless option would be to an SMI barrel built for your Encore.

Latest posts

Back