Entertain Me

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky Colonel

Reaction score
Guys, 

I have a summer, deep muscle ache, bug with a 101 degree temp. 
I won't spend any more time bellyaching. I want you to post your 
favorite old-time remedies for their cultural and entertainment 
value since I am not able to do the things I had planned for today.

What did Granny or Gramps prescribe? What frontier nostrums you got?
:study:

Here on the coast of Alaska, there's a preferred cure: Steam baths, or "banyas" as they're known locally. Works too, better than anything I've ever seen come out of a bottle or doctors office.

According to Healthline:
<h2 class="post-content">Lizard soup</h2>
lizard.jpg

If you fancy a variation of chicken soup for your cold, follow the Hong Kong custom of downing lizard soup. The simple recipe calls for dried lizards, yams, and Chinese dates simmered in water. You won’t find dried lizards in the supermarket, but a health practitioner specializing in Chinese herbal medicine may have a supply handy.
No studies compare the benefits of chicken soup with lizard soup. Still, hot soup in a water-based broth helps replace fluids lost from sweating, blowing your nose, and coughing. It can also help loosen mucus.
Engage your reptilian side.
I hope you feel better quickly!
Ron

RonC said:
According to Healthline:
<h2 class="post-content">Lizard soup</h2>

lizard.jpg

If you fancy a variation of chicken soup for your cold, follow the Hong Kong custom of downing lizard soup. The simple recipe calls for dried lizards, yams, and Chinese dates simmered in water. You won’t find dried lizards in the supermarket, but a health practitioner specializing in Chinese herbal medicine may have a supply handy.
No studies compare the benefits of chicken soup with lizard soup. Still, hot soup in a water-based broth helps replace fluids lost from sweating, blowing your nose, and coughing. It can also help loosen mucus.
Engage your reptilian side.
I hope you feel better quickly!
Ron

Heh, heh! Lizard soup. Now THAT is entertaining. Thanks!

And, anything that begins, 'Here in Alaska we...' is also entertaining. 

As to Pete's suggestion, he needed more hugs as a kid. ;) :lol!:

I have a Granny-in-law who apparently used KEROSENE as a remedy for sick children. 
No one really remembers how that worked and I think it likely to be dangerous.

needed more hugs.. :lol:   :lol: :lol: thats cracking me up right now!

I always use thera flu or mucinex

Well if lizards are the cure Im sure theres plenty to chose from in Floriduh. Maybe they have a happy lizard down there for Pete.

Pete
I know you have had Elk meat in the past and it hasnt seemed to work. Maybe some swamp meat will make a difference. :D

Elk meat hasn't worked?  I've been eating it all my life. Where did you get that idea?

Mule deer meat hasn't worked a lot of times, but I love elk.

Bear meat is dog food. Buddy loves it.

Bear Claw said:
Elk meat hasn't worked?  I've been eating it all my life.
Well, now we know. Elk meat, eaten regularly over time, makes people grumpy. ...and old. :lol!:

Come to Florida and catch yourself a Tegu lizard stew, Pete. We don't want those anyway.

Old Grouse... I have never had that. What kind of paint thinner is it? If it is really 
good hooch, I'd rather be in a position to savor it. Is it an old time remedy? I suppose 
bombing myself silly so I just don't care how I feel anymore could have short term advantages. ;) 

And, theraflu? Really? John, I thought you would have a birch bark concoction from the days of yore!

I think our frontier medicine cabinet is dang near empty! 

PS. I am feeling better. Fever broke.

No, the grumpy is built in. It did make me old though.

WAIT! I'm not grumpy, i'm.........err.........well..........let's see............Ok, i'm grumpy. Screw you!

I can't stand being sick. Just one of the most irritating things for me, especially with my ears or sinuses. I turn into a big over sized baby when im sick lol. I try to knock it out with everything I have on the shelf.

Bear Claw said:
WAIT! I'm not grumpy, i'm.........err.........well..........let's see............Ok, i'm grumpy.
"So let it be written... So let it be done"

I give you Pistol Packing Pete:
Grumpy_zpsg7d1keme.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nice bottle of hooch. 'England's most domestically sold Scotch blend...' 
I'll give it a try the next time I get Scotched! Cheers! 
:drunken: 

PS. I was expecting leeches, black powder snuff, or powdered muskrat tail. 
You guys are so into modern medical care. ;)

Glad to see that you are feeling better!
You must have had some lizard soup.
Ron

komodo10.jpg

RonC said:
Glad to see that you are feeling better!
You must have had some lizard soup.
Ron

komodo10.jpg
Lord, please don't let those idiots bring THOSE critters to Florida. (I confess to having a dread of monitor lizards.) We have enough weird creatures from other places living here now. Brrr.

They still have not caught that second escaped cobra, yet. 

Rhesus monkeys, tegu lizards, lionfish, Cuban tree frogs, African giant snails, Burmese pythons, anacondas, black spiny tailed iguanas, nutrias, Asiatic clams, walking catfish, Nile monitor lizards, Jesus lizards, air potatoes, vervet monkeys, mastiff bat, capybara, Gambian pouch rat, prairie dogs, squrrel monkeys, and more. 

And, I only listed watch the Florida Fish and Game do and only some of those. I know I saw a black and white lemur (Not a skunk, Bob! lol) in Orange County, Fl. If it is a pet, it will likely escape. I have personally seen hedge hogs, wallabies, kangaroos, and zebras.

Latest posts

Back