Extra PRB Loads/ Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoHiCntry

Reaction score
How does everyone carry extra PRB loads in the field when hunting? I thought about using a speed loader plastic thingy but I can't get the patch and ball pushed into the thing right. The patch keeps slipping to the side of the ball. I'm thinking about using a loading block instead. I'd like one with 3-holes but of course can't find one anywhere for a .54 cal. I can only find 6-hole ones but that's too many.

So I'm thinking, a small tube with powder, patch & ball in loading block, & inline capper. Though I could put the loading block and the capper on a leather thong around my neck or just keep them in the pocket of my vest. Am I missing a more simple way to do this?

Not much help, I use the plastic thingy's. TC 4-in-1 loaders to be exact, they actually can be used as a short starter as well (takes a good square on smack for them to work right).
I carry two just in case I need to reload quicker for some reason. Otherwise I just load as normal.
You may have to make your own to get one that holds 3.
Way too expensive for what it is, but I thought this was a good idea.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Carve...882953?hash=item23d5351c09:g:DPMAAMXQs6FROf~L

Here is what I made up for my follow up hunting loads. It fits in my pocket, and has a short starter, 2 powder tubes, 2 patched ball holes, and a leather cap holder.

That is a really neat design!

Here is what I made up for my follow up hunting loads. It fits in my pocket, and has a short starter, 2 powder tubes, 2 patched ball holes, and a leather cap holder.

That's about the most clever gadget I've seen. I'm not handy enough with tools to replicate such things so I just carry it all separated.

That is an awesome tool! You could sell those for $50 or better to lots of guys.

you can make a loading block and then put that over your speed loader and pop them in. I hear you on those damn speed loaders. They always suck a patch further to one side. Even worse when its a .015" patch or thinner.

Back