factory plastic stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oper2nyst

Reaction score
anyone know who produces the black plastic factory stock, is it a savage item or aftermarket, looking at bell&carlson at cabelas ,90bucks seems reasonable rather than bedding the factory item....

oper2nyst said:
anyone know who produces the black plastic factory stock, is it a savage item or aftermarket, looking at bell&carlson at cabelas ,90bucks seems reasonable rather than bedding the factory item....
If I am not mistaken, regardless of which stock you go to, you will have to "mate" the barrel to that particular stock. I am not sure what you are trying to accompliish here. You want a glass bedded stock?

looking to upgrade from factory plastic without having to resort to glas bedding, bell and carlson is as far as i know a drop in w/ aluminum inserts at the lug and screw mount positions, cabelas ,$90. if in fact its a drop in doesnt make sense to screw around bedding

Not sure what the Savages come through with. My White Super 91 has a B&C stock. One of the nicest synthetics I ever owned.

Savages has their plastic stocks made for them-- same stuff across their center-fire line. You'll notice the plastic 10ML-II has a magazine provision.

There are no true drop ins that will accomodate a ramrod, so you would have to take a ball end mill and make a ramrod channel if you wanted ramrod in the gun.

The Model 12 heavy barrel varmint stocks fit; you'll need longer action screws as they are thicker than the plastic stocks.

thanx for the info randy, i had figured on channeling for the rod[i dont think milling is necessary, pretty good with a die grinder and the only cosmetic spot will be at the forecap] as the b&c stock is basically a center fire replacement. i didnt go to savage for same because i assumed they got all their stocks from the same source and the quality is lacking. i just thought for 90 dollars it wouldnt have been worth the bother to bring the factory item up to snuff . b&c stuff is very good quality , seemed the most expedient method to solve my problem

One thing to guard against is a slim fore end that does not leave you enough meat for the ramrod channel. A beavertail or semi-beavertail will give you more to work with-- like on the 12BVSS heavy barrel varmint gun:

Mvc-011f2-sm.jpg

That stock is a drop in-- same barrel profile, etc.

dont know if you need all that much, the factory plastic isnt a beaver, has about the same as a centerfire, and is clearanced more than you need. thanx for the comeback

good old cabelas, stock arrived today{Bell and carlson,carbelite, whatever that is, much more ridgid than factory, great metal to stock fit ],all stock hardware works fine, barrel clearance is fine[can slide sheet of paper back to lug area and it very loose]material at fore cap is larger in both planes[height and width] by 20%, so plenty of room for the rod to be fitted. mechanics of stock improved over factory[better swell in grip section,better,wider forestock, not a beavertail exactly,but close. same lop and drop w/pachymer recoil pad, as factory. the only tricky item will be how to install the retention spring for the field rod, overall a 98% improvement.

I looked at a Savage 116CSAK tonite and the black stock is nothing like the camo stock on my 10ML ll. The 116CSAK is nowhere near as flimsy in the fore end. It is definately of better quality. Yes the stock from the 12BVSS short action fits the 10ML perfectly and the rear action screw is too short.( the bolt will slide right out)

Latest posts

Back