Fallow Spike with the Flint

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
2023 is off to a good start with a nice eating fallow in the freezer. Also managed another a few days previous but didn't have the camera.

Got to the property and the wind was atrocious. I thought well I've already come this far so decided to hunt the semi open bush edge that has a little shelter. After maybe half a mile of walking and few roos out (good for hunting, bad for prospects of deer being out) I saw the gleaming coat of a red deer. Glassing confirmed it was a barren hind I'd seen a few times. Even so reds have taken a hit from govt cullers and heavy poaching pressure, so I didn't want to take her.

Moving further I spotted a fallow spike and decided he was just what I needed. I ranged him at about 180 yards, too far for me.so I started a slow and steady crawl with dog at heel. Closed the distance some and waited behind done rushes. The hind stepped out first and spotted the pooch, it was seconds before the gambit was up.

Fortunately, the spike stepped out at around 60 yards. I set the trigger, held low and boom! Took out his front shoulder at the spinal Junction and he was down where he stood.

It was a great skin, fallow come in four colour phases red (normal), black, white and menil. This being the last. I was going to skin him for a rug but forgot the steel and didn't want to walk half a mile to grab it so I just broke down the meat and took some photos.

20230121_203046.jpg

20230121_203014.jpg

2023 is off to a good start with a nice eating fallow in the freezer. Also managed another a few days previous but didn't have the camera.

Got to the property and the wind was atrocious. I thought well I've already come this far so decided to hunt the semi open bush edge that has a little shelter. After maybe half a mile of walking and few roos out (good for hunting, bad for prospects of deer being out) I saw the gleaming coat of a red deer. Glassing confirmed it was a barren hind I'd seen a few times. Even so reds have taken a hit from govt cullers and heavy poaching pressure, so I didn't want to take her.

Moving further I spotted a fallow spike and decided he was just what I needed. I ranged him at about 180 yards, too far for me.so I started a slow and steady crawl with dog at heel. Closed the distance some and waited behind done rushes. The hind stepped out first and spotted the pooch, it was seconds before the gambit was up.

Fortunately, the spike stepped out at around 60 yards. I set the trigger, held low and boom! Took out his front shoulder at the spinal Junction and he was down where he stood.

It was a great skin, fallow come in four colour phases red (normal), black, white and menil. This being the last. I was going to skin him for a rug but forgot the steel and didn't want to walk half a mile to grab it so I just broke down the meat and took some photos.

View attachment 30380

View attachment 30381
Very nice, congrats & thanks for sharing the story & pics. Enjoy the meat.

Back