Spike elk success!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob L.

Reaction score
Spotted a small herd of 4 with a spike in it as the fog lifted across the canyon. Was able to drive around and walk in to where they were feeding.
As I started stalking up the ridge in the unit they were in above me the wind switched and they began to look below trying to locate me. I began to crawl on all 4’s as they were staring directly at me. I could now see the spike directly behind a cow who blocked him. What seemed like forever I decided to crawl to a stump that I thought would offer a clear shooting lane. The spike stepped out from behind the cow to look below and offered me a shot.
After the smoke cleared the group tried to take off up the side hill and I saw the spike start to roll downhill I knew I had made a great shot.
The 460 grain bullshop conical busted his front shoulder and he only made it 30 to 40 yards. He was shot at about 105 yards. Knight Mountaineer 50 cal with 460 grain Bullshop and 70 grains of Old E black powder and a wool wad.
Merry Christmas and happy hunting!

Attachments

• 23182D51-0193-4E0D-927B-C38CC7EC60D4.jpeg
    23182D51-0193-4E0D-927B-C38CC7EC60D4.jpeg
    486.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1F304110-6F23-4E4D-8AD0-9174F31F968A.jpeg
    1F304110-6F23-4E4D-8AD0-9174F31F968A.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Spotted a small herd of 4 with a spike in it as the fog lifted across the canyon. Was able to drive around and walk in to where they were feeding.
As I started stalking up the ridge in the unit they were in above me the wind switched and they began to look below trying to locate me. I began to crawl on all 4’s as they were staring directly at me. I could now see the spike directly behind a cow who blocked him. What seemed like forever I decided to crawl to a stump that I thought would offer a clear shooting lane. The spike stepped out from behind the cow to look below and offered me a shot.
After the smoke cleared the group tried to take off up the side hill and I saw the spike start to roll downhill I knew I had made a great shot.
The 460 grain bullshop conical busted his front shoulder and he only made it 30 to 40 yards. He was shot at about 105 yards. Knight Mountaineer 50 cal with 460 grain Bullshop and 70 grains of Old E black powder and a wool wad.
Merry Christmas and happy hunting!
Awesome load, great harvest...:thumb:

did the bullet do all that damage?? no wonder it dropped!!! good job! nice elk,, one of my favorite meats, & we don't have many here in Tennessee...

Latest posts

Back