Favorite bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you should mention a 30-30. I got a Win 94 in 30-30 for Christmas from dad when I was 12 in 1954. It was all I used for muley, bear, and elk until I went to a muzzleloader in 1980. I loved that 30-30 and never failed to drop the game. I used a 170gr Partition and always took double lung shots pretty close. Those were good times hunting with my brother and dad. Dad taught me and my brother to still hunt. I still love the method to this day.

I agree our average 200lb black bear is not hard to kill. Pretty much like a deer. However, as I mentioned. You never know when a big boar will show up. Just like me they get grumpy in their old age. :wink:

Muley Hunter said:
Funny you should mention a 30-30. I got a Win 94 in 30-30 for Christmas from dad when I was 12 in 1954. It was all I used for muley, bear, and elk until I went to a muzzleloader in 1980. I loved that 30-30 and never failed to drop the game. I used a 170gr Partition and always took double lung shots pretty close. Those were good times hunting with my brother and dad. Dad taught me and my brother to still hunt. I still love the method to this day.

I agree our average 200lb black bear is not hard to kill. Pretty much like a deer. However, as I mentioned. You never know when a big boar will show up. Just like me they get grumpy in their old age. :wink:

Me as well Pete, I had a DANDY little Win Model 94 30-30 (Pre 64) years ago, like a foolish kid i parted ways with it

With .50 calibers It's a toss up for me. Either .452/300 grain XPTs or .429/240 grain Deep Curls. I can generally get sub-2" 100 yard groups with either one and both are sure killers (not to mention reasonably inexpensive).

edward.penny said:
What's your favorite bullet? I have shot a bunch of different bullets and now I'm going to try the Barnes. I have shot deer with the 240 grain xtp and the TC shockwave. Also shot a couple with round ball. Never had a issue killing but never had many exits.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

Speaking only for myself... the bullet I shoo depends on the animal I am after.

For any deer class animal I would definitely use one of the new Lehigh hard copper .451x230 CF-HP bullets. This bullet was designed to fit in 50 cal bores, either tight or larger. It is also a great bullet for 1-48 twist sidlelock rifles.

In my Knight I use 120 grain of each BH ot T7 really doesn't make a difference, HPH-24 Black Sabot. The bullet is an excellent shooter to at least 200 yards. I have shot it to 250 with great results but not at an animal. The Terminal Performance of the bullet into the chest cavity is awesome. Most often them animal drops very close to the spot it was shot and9 out of 10 times you will get a pass through - excellent penetration.

This is a picture of the bullet.

Lehigh_451x230_CF-HP.jpg

This is a ballistic sheet for the bullet - shooting 120 gr(V). of T7. The second sheet is with 120 gr, (V) of BH. You can see that you have the necessary energy for a deer harvest @ 200+

Lehigh-451x230-CF-HP-120-T7.jpg

Lehigh-451x230-BH.jpg

If I were going elk hunting - a what the heck... - this bullet would be a great all-around bullet - elk or deer! Anyway I would move up a bit to a .452x265CF-HP

Lehigh-452x265-CFHP-R225-6-in.jpg

This was shot with 120gr (V) of T7.

265-Misc-Pics.jpg

Hornady FTX 325 gr 458 in a knight 52 long range hunter , devastating on whitetails

phenix78_99 said:
Knight Bloodline 250 grain with Harvester short black sabot

Man! really can not argue with that one either that is an awesome bullet! The .458x275 Bloodline is a GREAT all-around bullet!

Barnes 250 gr T-EZ weighed 246 gr after recovery from the buck.

1BLNaacl.jpg

The 180 and 200 grain 40 caliber XTP's and the 250 grain 45 caliber XTP. Haven't shot anything with the non magnum 300 grain 45, but it's very accurate.
Also, in a pinch, the TC 240 grain Cheap Shot.
They all make a superb batch of chest soup!

Speer 300 grain deep curl
Hornady 300 grain XTP

Premium bullet=Barnes expander or Spitfire TEZ.

Lee 9 said:
The bloodline Lehigh consistently gives a nice exit hole that makes trailing much easier. I use the 250 in the 50 and the 200 in the 45.

Ditto. The last two ML deer shot were with these, outstanding performance!

I have shot alot of deer with Speer bullets over the years (deep curls, etc) with great performance as well. I still shoot those in my MK's and have 100% confidence in them. Almost always pass through, and great expansion and wound channel. :yeah:

300 gr Hornady XTP with a 3 petal MMP sabot over 70 gr Blackhorn 209 using Fed 209 primers.

Back