Favorite knife in the deer woods?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DD7E50CF-1B3D-4630-9BF4-247317D74385.jpeg#1 German made Puma Skinner that my dog found in it’s rotted leather scabbard in the early ‘70s near the Rangely Colorado airport.
#2 Gerber blade trader with gut hook, saw blade and drop point. Both are razor sharp and I have field dressed many animals. I wish I could say they were all mine but I’m always willing to let others use mine.

Last edited:
View attachment 11153#1 German made Puma Skinner that my dog found in it’s rotted leather scabbard in the early ‘70s near the Rangely Colorado airport.
#2 Gerber blade trader with gut hook, saw blade and drop point. Both are razor sharp and I have field dressed many animals. I wish I could say they were all mine but I’m always willing to let others use mine.
Love that Puma Skinner

I'm going with Buck Lite and always have my 3 1/2" Gerber (gutted 9 deer with this knife).
IMG_3943.JPG

The Gerber knife I posted earlier did bot of my deer this fall and the only holes in either hide was the bullet holes.

For processing the deer I have 2 complete sets of Chicago Cutlery, four complete sets if I include the cabin one, the kitchen one, in the shop. Two have the traditional wood handles, one has the black wood and one has the black resin handles. They all are in the wood holders. I use the black resin handled ones in the shop for cutting deer. Makes slick work of things. I didn't pay more than $5.00 for any of the sets including one that had 2 sets of 4 steak knives, the serrated bread knife and a 14" slicer. Love the slicer at turkey time.

My real treasure is a set of Zwilling-Henckels knives that I found at a church sale for $8.00. Only one knife in the set appeared to have been used when I got it and one of the people working the sale told me her Mother got the knives as a set from a son for Christmas a couple years prior. Nobody in the family wanted the knives when she was clearing the estate so she donated them to the church sale and no one knew what they were worth. They had them on a table right near the check out so kids didn't get cut and as I walked in aI saw and asked if they were being held and told no just safety. I checked them out and took them on the spot.

As i get ready to make my 130 mile trek to my deer lease with a buddy of mine, I load my truck, gun case with rifle and ammo and knives. My favorites are in the picture. These I carry in my rifle case alwsys. From left to right are:
Buck 110
Buck 119
Unknown RT with a canoe stamp
Case XX ( my favorite )
Wk razor skinner
DL
IMG_1139.JPG

Hunters edge. Razorblaze

I have one of them as well, They are a SLICK knife :lewis: When you get Dull simply Replace the Blade & keep working. I have re-sharpened the blades many Times, in fact i have a Stack of them sitting here beside my chair as i type this, to sharpen for a Good Friend of mine

My sons buck from last year. My 2 sons got great bucks this year also. I even managed to score on a old half rack too.

I have put together several knives. I get the blanks and find what wood or other handle material to use. Some of the blanks are finished and even heat treated. My favorite is this pair for big game. They are made of CPM 154

VMDWhQl.jpg

hmwWKPN.jpg

VfyWgvt.jpg

vzaLxBT.jpg

7YmgE5m.jpg

This one is another one of my favorites

CyxMqUS.jpg

Gw00mjZ.jpg

9PqYnnW.jpg

Those 3 knives go everywhere with me.

20201221_101546.jpg
these are the knives i use(it is always hard to decide which to take). the one that always is in my pack is the victorinox, it works very well, is razor sharp and has a bottle opener;) LOL. the wood handled fixed blade that I bought in the early 90's blackjack trail guide. The stag handled knife is a bark river that i found in the bargain section at AG Russel once when traveling through for work. I have since started using a blaze orange handled version I stumbled across as I almost lost it. The other blaze handled knife is another bark river that I found on ebay for $75 because it was rusted. It is my go to sternum rib popper. All are razor sharp.

My must have knife. I've been carrying this knife into the woods for about 20 years. It was a very inexpensive knife, but it has become priceless in my mind. It always holds an edge and only takes a few strokes on a stone to get it razor sharp.

Imperial.JPG

Latest posts

Back