Favorite Sidelock Nipple

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Treso/Ampco Nipple Flash Holes are a Tiny .028, Designed around Real Blackpowder Use.

For Reliable ignition with Substitute powders Such as Triple Seven, And Pyrodex, You will need to Open these Slightly, To around .032, TC Hotshot Nipples are .035 Brand new out of the Package, I would NOT go ANY Larger than that Though. Many Consider .035 Wore out, including myself.

I use these BACO Platinum lined Nipples in My long Range 1:18 Twist 45 Cal, and .35 Cal Muzzleloader (This .35 Cal is BRUTAL on Nipples) These are EXPENSIVE Nipples at 60 Bucks a Piece, But they FAR out Last anything out there, Many Serious Competition Shooters use these. Nipple Flash Hole wear will eventually DESTROY Accuracy.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/1-4-28-thread-platinum-lined-nipple-only-pln14281
taken from Buffalo Arms Description:
1/4-28 Threaded platinum lined nipple only uses standard nipple wrench. Platinum lined nipples are a must when shooting heavy bullets with large charges such as I use in long range (1000 Yards) muzzleloading matches. These will withstand pressures generated by these loads without eroding for a long period of time. I have over 1000 rounds fired with 90+ grains of Swiss 1 1/2 F black powder and they are still going strong. I can only get 30-40 shots out of a standard nipple before it is worn out making a platinum nipple far better and cheaper in the long run. The rapid wear in the standard nipples means that each shot is different and materially effects the accuracy of your rifle. Hole diameter is .026".

a good buddies dad passed on several years back and he bought an early tc hawken 50 many years ago and my buddy knew i have a passion for tc renegade and hawken so im the new owner and it needs a nipple. treso is what i use. but it never hurts to ask what new

You might want to look at the new 1/4x28 Nipple that Lehigh Defense is offering. I is made from hardened S7 metal, a really durable material. Plus the nipple stick is of the correct diameter so that once you press the nipple on the assembly essentially becomes water proof.

https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.c...,muzzleloader/f11-firearms-components,nipples
11-Composite.jpg

a good buddies dad passed on several years back and he bought an early tc hawken 50 many years ago and my buddy knew i have a passion for tc renegade and hawken so im the new owner and it needs a nipple. treso is what i use. but it never hurts to ask what new

Lehigh sells a new No. 11 Nipple as well, But at 8.25 a piece, and another 7.95 for Shipping, You are 16.20 for a Nipple

https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=278

will they withstand heavy conical pressure before eroding

The Treso/Ampco Nipples ABSOLUTELY will :lewis: i have 100s Of shots on Several of these, With a Steady diet of HEAVY Conicals and they are Stil going Strong. Checked for wear with Precision Pin Gauges, They started life at .028, and None of them are over .031 yet, These Treso/Ampcos are a DARN TOUGH Nipple, and under 5.00 Bucks, They can’t be beat in my opinion

I can’t speak for the Lehigh, I have a Brand new one But haven’t tested it yet. I can Certainly Put it to the Test in a HURRY, With this .357-.358 Bore, With 340 Grain Conicals, A Nipple is THOROUGHLY COOKED in Less than 20 Shots.

will they withstand heavy conical pressure before eroding

So far mine has been working very well. Fact is both the Lehigh and the AMPCO are good products. With the AMPCO I do drill the flash hole out to 0.031 to get the ignition I need in rotten cold weather using T7.

I do think the S7 resists peening better than the AMPCO but at this point I have no proof of that because I have not shot the Lehigh S7 enough to know.

Brief description

What is S7 tool steel?
S-7 Tool Steel Data Sheet. S7 is a shock-resistant air hardening tool steel, designed for high impact resistance at relatively high hardness.

Lewis, I just remembered another nipple you suggested to me a couple of years ago. It really seems to fill the bill also.

Spitfire__11.jpg

Can not remember the name of the Distributor up there by you that handles these.

That was October Country here in Hayden Idaho. They are actually Made by Cain’s Outdoors, But Cain’s Website seems to not Work anymore? I see a Cains Facebook, But seems geared toward Centerfire stuff, Though i didnt dig much. Cains Outdoors offered quite a Few “Cool Tools“ for us Muzzleloader Enthusiasts, Such as the Good Loop through Style Bore Brushes (I believe they made in House as well?) Hopefully they aren’t Gone

here are the Spit Fire’s at October Country
MSM Spitfire Nipple #11

Last edited:
I have changed the nipples in my Renegades from percussion cap to Musket cap nipples and have never had any problems.

I have changed the nipples in my Renegades from percussion cap to Musket cap nipples and have never had any problems.

The problem with Musket Caps and Sidelocks is Hammer to Nipple Alignment, They are NOT all perfectly aligned (Some are, some AREN’T). If the Hammer does NOT Line up PERFECTLY Square over the Musket Nipple, You have PROBLEMS! There is no Margin for Error, The Musket Caps Fill the Hammer Face/Cup, Alignment must be PERFECT for the Hammer to Clear a Musket Cap and Enter the Hammer Cup, if off ever so slightly, the Outer edge of the Hammer Cup will Hit the Cap, likely NOT setting it off

With the No. 11 Nipples/Caps there is a LOT more room for Error. If the Shoe Fits? Wear it :lewis: As for Hotter? I have tested Both the German RWS 1081 Musket Caps against The RWS 1075 PLUS No. 11 Caps, and CCi Magnum No. 11 Caps. There is ZERO Gain from a Musket Cap, The ONLY Benefit i see with a Musket Cap is Ease of Handling, and i admit they are Nice for that! But that’s ALL i can give a Musket Cap

vKAKPKTl.jpg

here you can see this Hammer won’t Clear a Musket Cap
etFcz03l.jpg

Same Rifle/Hammer in above Photo, Except it now has a No. 11 Nipple in it, as you can See the Hammer CLEARS the Much Smaller No. 11 Nipple NO PROBLEM
O2mAifVl.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a lefty shooting a righty so musket caps are tough on the arm. # 11's rws all the way

I agree :lewis:

I have shot THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of No. 11 Caps, i keep about 2-3,000 on hand at all times. I have YET to have a No. 11 Cap Fail me

Back